• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Liver ring

bobbyk

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 12, 2013
I know it's regional and it goes by many names. Hatfield made it commercially forever, but the discontinued it. It was a fully cooked liver pudding ring. It was cased like a sausage, but the casing wasn't edible. I'm looking for a copycat recipe if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Can you describe the Texture and taste more. Example. A butcherI used would make a meat base for Scrapple. Cooked bones, skin, meat, liver, etc. He then put some of the cooked ground meat, in loaf pans and called the Meat only mix Pudding. It tasted like Pork Sausage with sage and thyme mixed with Liverwurst. It was Gray, slightly coarse and crumbly when fried.
The balance of the ground meat and broth got Cornmeal added, to make Scrapple. Does any of this ring a Bell?
Ive also seen recipes for pureed Pork Liver, emulsified with Pork Fat and spices. The mix is stuffed in beef middles and poached to cook it. Since no Cure or Smoke, the sausage is gray in color. I'd say its similar to below...JJ

bobbyk

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 12, 2013
The consistency was thicker than patè, it stayed together when you sliced it. We never fried it, just ate it cold as a snack. The flavor was more liver like

bobbyk

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 12, 2013
It looked like the Albert's one. I'm surprised no one remembers the hatfield one.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.