Liver ring

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobbyk

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
Jessup, PA USA
I know it's regional and it goes by many names. Hatfield made it commercially forever, but the discontinued it. It was a fully cooked liver pudding ring. It was cased like a sausage, but the casing wasn't edible. I'm looking for a copycat recipe if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Can you describe the Texture and taste more. Example. A butcherI used would make a meat base for Scrapple. Cooked bones, skin, meat, liver, etc. He then put some of the cooked ground meat, in loaf pans and called the Meat only mix Pudding. It tasted like Pork Sausage with sage and thyme mixed with Liverwurst. It was Gray, slightly coarse and crumbly when fried.
The balance of the ground meat and broth got Cornmeal added, to make Scrapple. Does any of this ring a Bell?
Ive also seen recipes for pureed Pork Liver, emulsified with Pork Fat and spices. The mix is stuffed in beef middles and poached to cook it. Since no Cure or Smoke, the sausage is gray in color. I'd say its similar to below...JJ

The consistency was thicker than patè, it stayed together when you sliced it. We never fried it, just ate it cold as a snack. The flavor was more liver like

My grand parents are from Bristol Pa it was crumbly liver with barley and the and it cracked open like paper in a cast iron pan

Even though this thread is 3 years old and the OP hasn't been around since, I think what he was looking for is what we call around here Liver Pudding. It can be bought stuffed in casings or in a loaf. There's also Liver Mush. The key difference between them is the filler. Real Liver Pudding has rice and Liver Mush has corn meal, or at least that's what the old timers around here tell me. It is sold in many grocery stores around here. It's regional thing, though...

You can see the rice in this...
1712698771864.png

1712698754336.png

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky