• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

little dry

gdp

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 18, 2019
So I did my 1st fatties last weekend with scrambled eggs, provolone, sautéed onion/yellow pepper/mushrooms. Used elk/pork sausage and thin bacon wrap on the outside. They turned out great except they were a little dry inside. The eggs and veggies were about 85% cooked before rolling and the internal temp was about 160 when I pulled them off. I'm thinking I cooked them too long and meant to pull off at 140ish. Any ideas on how to make the next ones juicier? Thanks!

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Add some type of liquid. With your combo maybe a hot sauce of some type.

Chris

sauced

Master of the Pit
Joined Aug 9, 2015
Yes, I would add a little liquid to the meat mix. Guessing the elk is pretty lean.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I definitely wouldn't drop the finished IT down to 140°.
I personally would go to 165° IT with ground sausage.

Bear

gdp

Fire Starter
Joined Feb 18, 2019
Thanks guys. Sounds like I need to do the same thing but add some liquid next time. I'm hooked on them. Here's a pic of them about to come off the grill. Looked perfect to me!
IMG_3398.jpg

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.