LET THE AGING BEGING

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

auerjr

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 31, 2019
WI
I recently picked up the new Reserve 50 Dry Ager from Pro Smoker after watching the review on YouTube by 2 Guys & A Cooler.
First into the cabinet 13.4 lb 6 bone standing rib roast! Plan is let it age for min. of 30 days might take it to 45 days. :emoji_fingers_crossed: turns out good!

temp is set at 34* and humidity at 78. Will update when I pull it

68a11a7e-6244-4a84-bfa3-024949074d18.jpg 4fc4f7c8-ea93-4e60-8605-1346e2a456c4.jpg

That is a nice gadget! I would love to have one, however, the likelihood of getting high quality green beef here in Texas, is about zero.

Looking forward to seeing your results.

Reactions: mr mac
That is a nice gadget! I would love to have one, however, the likelihood of getting high quality green beef here in Texas, is about zero.
When we were in Cleburne, there were a few ranchers that processed their own for local buyers.

I love love love dry aged beef, but the bride isn't a fan.

Looking forward to eating vicariously through you on this one! I'm in for the finish

I'm fortunate to have a local butcher only a few miles up the road with local beef. hard to walk out with only a few items :emoji_laughing:

Retired Spook Retired Spook Shoot me a PM with where you are located. We raise our beef, but I know a LOT of butchers in the state and also friends with a LOT of other beef producers. We can get you hooked up with a butcher or rancher for the good stuff.

pulled the rib roast last night. aged a total of 34 days. no off smells! checked multiple times over the 34days and the temp and humidity stayed the same.

starting weight was- 13lb 6.4oz
weight after 34days -10lbs 8.3oz (can't see the weight in the pictures)
23% loss

weight after trimming -5lbs 14.2oz. Cut into thick steaks and vacuum sealed.

Will make one tomorrow night for Valentine's dinner. I'll post pic of the cooked steak!

I have a few capicola's and a moose backstrap bresaola curing that will be going into the cabinet next.

thumbnail_IMG_0094.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0097.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0098.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0100.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0101.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0102.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0095.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0095.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 11
What is that "black" portion on the meat? Is that just the process of aging? If the humidity is set at 78, how is that dry?

Forgive my newb dry aging questions lol, it does look great! It is just what comes to mind..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky