Dry Aging Preferences ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
So I got a 3 bone standing rib roast... It will be cut into steaks .. maybe even some sliced thin for philly cheese steaks ... If you were to dry age... would you slice (for steaks) first and then dry... or dry the whole roast before slicing ??

Cut the bones off first or leave them on and cut off after drying ??

For dry aging... from what I am reading.. you just dry as much as possible with a paper towel and then put it in the back of the fridge for about 45 days or so ?? Would it be a shorter period if pre sliced ??

Any and All info is much appreciated as you can tell by the questions I have not tried this yet.. but want to with this roast...

Thanks all for any response ...

Never done it, (Dry aging), but I think that PC is on it. Your going to have to trim exterior surface so you'd be better off reducing the amount of surface by leaving it whole.

Keep it whole, removing the bone is fine, maybe even preferred, but you need to use either the Umaidry dry aging bags that you vac seal or you can use the collagen sheets, what I use, either way you really need a membrane to control the drying process in a refrigerator, or you can leave it naked and in to a drying chamber with 75% humidity and temp in the low 40’s.

Keith I did one in a uMAI bag & one just right in the fridge uncovered. The one in the uMAI bag had much less meat that had to be cut off. So I would get a 4 bone roast cut from the chuck end, and I would pay the extra $2 lb, & get Greenwise Angus. Also have the butcher leave the bones on & intact. Don’t get one that has had the bones removed then tied back on. If you really want to go big, get the whole 7 bone roast, bones on & no trimming done at the butcher. Then put it in a uMAI bag, and put in the back of you regular fridge for a minimum of 45 days. Good luck!
Al

OK Then... Umai bags ordered ( a little pricey)... but ... They will be here tomorrow ...

A question about the bags... I assume they can be cut smaller if need be... getting 2 bags from one bigger bag ??

and again I want to thank everybody for their reply's... As we all know this (SMF) is the best place on the internet for anything related to our BBQ/smoking/processing/cooking needs ...

OK Then... Umai bags ordered ( a little pricey)... but ... They will be here tomorrow ...

A question about the bags... I assume they can be cut smaller if need be... getting 2 bags from one bigger bag ??

and again I want to thank everybody for their reply's... As we all know this (SMF) is the best place on the internet for anything related to our BBQ/smoking/processing/cooking needs ...

Not sure if you can cut the bags up or not, but I can tell you that the cost of the bag is less than the amount of trim you have to take off one that is dried without the bag.
Al

ok.. all bagged up and in jail (fridge) on a rack with a tray under it... 45 days is the goal...

Al... your saying 60 would be even better ??

ok.. all bagged up and in jail (fridge) on a rack with a tray under it... 45 days is the goal...

45 or 60 days then into the trailer for a ride north several hours for the cooking and testing :emoji_laughing:

Yes in my opinion, 60 days is better. Those extra 15 days give it a more intense beef flavor.
Al

I've done 40, 45, 50 and 60 days. Definitely prefer the longer times. Just watch it when you grill/cook it. It has a lot less moisture and will not drip or bubble. Just watch to time closely, probe it often. If you price dry aged beef then the expense of the bag is justified. I'll buy NY roast or prime roast at Costco when on sale then age it, trim and cut into steaks, vac pak and freeze.

RG

Come on up. Not only is it getting warm the skitters are so big I think they have their own zip code :emoji_laughing:

I use a Dry Aging Bag from Artisan Meat LAB which is made of the same material as Umai but the price is almost twice as cheap :)

I buy from Amazon link

For those who don't want to pay just for the name, this is a great alternative. I haven't noticed any differences apart from the vacuum assist strip. Umai has a white strip, while Artisan Meat LAB has a yellow strip of a completely different material. The Artisan Meat LAB instructions are much more detailed and the packaging looks very luxurious.

I hope you will find my discovery equally useful :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky