Dry Aging Preferences ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So I got a 3 bone standing rib roast... It will be cut into steaks .. maybe even some sliced thin for philly cheese steaks ... If you were to dry age... would you slice (for steaks) first and then dry... or dry the whole roast before slicing ??

Cut the bones off first or leave them on and cut off after drying ??

For dry aging... from what I am reading.. you just dry as much as possible with a paper towel and then put it in the back of the fridge for about 45 days or so ?? Would it be a shorter period if pre sliced ??

Any and All info is much appreciated as you can tell by the questions I have not tried this yet.. but want to with this roast...

Thanks all for any response ...
I'd def age in as big a piece you can as you need to cut a fair amount off the outside once properly aged. Good luck and photos when done :))))

OK Then... Today is the day it comes out of the bag (60 days) ... It still has the ribs attached (3 rib roast)...
Any special instructions for trimming... cut ribs off ?? first ??

I think I want to slice some thin for steak and cheese sammies on the flat top... yey or ney ??

Well I know nothing first hand on the process but, the outside has to be trimmed off from what I read, that means the bones will be thrown out, I would have cut the ribs off and smoked them rather than sacrifice them. Maybe the funk don't affect the bones? hopefully somebody will come along with some first hand info

Last one I did was a PITA to cut. Was hard as a rock. Meat was fantastic tho!

I ussually cut into steaks then trim. Seems to be easier for me.

here is the last one I did was 40 days.

Attachments

• IMG_5684.jpg
    IMG_5684.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5688.jpg
    IMG_5688.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 15
OK Then... Today is the day it comes out of the bag (60 days) ... It still has the ribs attached (3 rib roast)...
Any special instructions for trimming... cut ribs off ?? first ??

I think I want to slice some thin for steak and cheese sammies on the flat top... yey or ney ??
If you were going to make just steaks then I would definitely cut the bones off then cut into steaks then trim the edge. Even though you are wanting to thin slice some, I would still cut the steaks before trimming, then take one steak & run it thru the meat slicer. You are going to love the flavor!
Al

I never did any aging, other than my own, however if it gets as good as some say it does, I wouldn't want to waste it on Steak Sammies.
Kinda like using Wagyu Beef for Burger Patties.

Bear

Reactions: schlotz
OK... So I have them all cut up and trimmed... It kills me to throw away that much meat ...

I decided to go 60 days instead of the 45 days I had wrote on the sticker...

IMG_1690.JPG

After slicing a couple off..

IMG_1695.JPG

One trimmed (bottom) compared to not yet trimmed

IMG_1696.JPG

All cut and trimmed

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

The two little ones on the left were the end caps... That's all that's left after trimming... I'm thinking they will probably turn into Cheese Steak sammies as they are to small for steaks (for me) we'll see ...

Things I will do different the next time ... If there even is a next time ...
  1. Get a whole Standing Rib Roast
  2. Trim bones of first and smoke them
  3. Cut end caps bigger so after trimmed they aren't so small ..
As I said above... it was hard for me to trim and throw away what I would say was close to 2 lbs of meat .. Pending the outcome of tonight's dinner (a new thread) as to whether I will do this again or not... But at the moment without tasting.. I would say not ...

Reactions: SmokinEdge
OK... So I have them all cut up and trimmed... It kills me to throw away that much meat ...

I decided to go 60 days instead of the 45 days I had wrote on the sticker...

View attachment 634506

After slicing a couple off..

View attachment 634507

One trimmed (bottom) compared to not yet trimmed

View attachment 634509

All cut and trimmed

View attachment 634510

View attachment 634511

The two little ones on the left were the end caps... That's all that's left after trimming... I'm thinking they will probably turn into Cheese Steak sammies as they are to small for steaks (for me) we'll see ...

Things I will do different the next time ... If there even is a next time ...
  1. Get a whole Standing Rib Roast
  2. Trim bones of first and smoke them
  3. Cut end caps bigger so after trimmed they aren't so small ..
As I said above... it was hard for me to trim and throw away what I would say was close to 2 lbs of meat .. Pending the outcome of tonight's dinner (a new thread) as to whether I will do this again or not... But at the moment without tasting.. I would say not ...
Please let us know if the difference in taste was worth it. I've heard arguments both ways.

So the results are in after cooking for dinner... they are in a new thread for the cook... Below is the link...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky