Lemon slices and onion on top of butt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokietreat

Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
I am going to smoke my first butt soon.  I'm not scared!  :-D

Before I had a smoker,I just made pulled pork in the oven with a big butt, with lots of sliced lemon and onions on the top (along with a rub).  It is always a hit.

I am sure the smoked will be a grand slam, but can I put lemon and onion slices on the top of the butt in the smoker?  I was thinking I would try and catch the juices and see if they are any good.

Thoughts?

Sure. Can't hurt. I have never tried it thou

Very interesting!  I've used orange and lemon juice when making Cuban style pulled pork and Mojo marinade and sauce.  It too was a hit.  You can absolutely put lemon and onion on the butt, though I've never done it.  Definitely put a drip pan under the butt and use the drippings.  I use drippings ALL the time.   

Thanks for the responses.  I think I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

The other thing I was thinking about was adding a dose of caramelized onions and smoked lemons to the pulled pork, after the smoke.

Can you smoke a lemon?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky