LEM Backwoods "Hot Stick" Pkg Mix (my third attempt)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tennsmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Clarksville, Tn
Please help me to improve on my sausage making!  Critique my method, spices, etc., please.

I know that this thread would be elementry to most of you seasoned sausage makers but for me it was a success after all the research and reading page after page on SMF.

I took about 10 or 12 pieces to my local hangout (pool room) yesterday and they ate every bit of it, as a matter a fact they suggested i should start making and selling it there!!

I added the SPC only because Kutas says in his book that it binds the meat together as well as retain the natural juices of the meat (p159, 4th ed) but not in fresh sausage. He uses 2 cups in some of his "smoked and cooked recipes) for example, p195, 197, 200, 204, 206, 209 and lots of others.   

I added the celery seed because i saw in a recipe for snack stick that Nepas started (AC Sticks thread) had used it. He also used Buttermilk Powder, so i got me some of that too but haven't used it yet, gotta do some research on that!!

Here's the recipe:

LEM Backwoods "Hot Stick" Pkg Mix my third attempt

July 29, 2012

4 lbs beef chuck roast (very little fat)

1 lb pork trim 80/20

1 pkg LEM Hot Stick Seasoning with cure packet

1 cup Soy Protein Concentrate

1 1/2 cup distilled water

1.5 tsp celery seed

1 tsp jalapeno sprinkle

Using 19mm collagen casing from LEM

Ground the chuck, then the pork 3/16" plate

Mixed the seasoning mix, celery seed, jalapeno sprinkle, Soy Protein Concentrate with the water in a bowl (all the dry seasoning's)

Added to the ground meat then ground again with 1/8" plate

Mixed using the KA with the dough hook.  (felt too sticky)

Stuffed and put in fridge overnight

Removed from fridge and let stand until room temp. (2 hrs)

Set the MES to 130 for 1 hr (no smoke)

Then up the temp to 145 1 hr (with smoke ProQ Smoker)

Then up to 177 until IT reaches 150-160 (smoke lasted about 4-5 hrs)

Rinse in ice cold water until IT reaches 100-110

Let the sticks hang at room temp 2 hrs to bloom, then

Refrigerate and eat

hope this helps some newbie like me,

Thanks Al

Please help me to improve on my sausage making!  Critique my method, spices, etc., please.

I know that this thread would be elementry to most of you seasoned sausage makers but for me it was a success after all the research and reading page after page on SMF.

I took about 10 or 12 pieces to my local hangout (pool room) yesterday and they ate every bit of it, as a matter a fact they suggested i should start making and selling it there!!

I added the SPC only because Kutas says in his book that it binds the meat together as well as retain the natural juices of the meat (p159, 4th ed) but not in fresh sausage. He uses 2 cups in some of his "smoked and cooked recipes) for example, p195, 197, 200, 204, 206, 209 and lots of others.   

I added the celery seed because i saw in a recipe for snack stick that Nepas started (AC Sticks thread) had used it. He also used Buttermilk Powder, so i got me some of that too but haven't used it yet, gotta do some research on that!!

Here's the recipe:

July 29, 2012

1 lb pork trim 80/20

1.5 tsp celery seed

1 tsp jalapeno sprinkle

Mixed the seasoning mix, celery seed, jalapeno sprinkle, Soy Protein Concentrate with the water in a bowl (all the dry seasoning's)

Refrigerate and eat

Thanks Al
Al

Your temps.

Try to start at the 130 then bump slowly to the 170.

IE

This will give the meat time to get to the right IT. Going from 130 177 withing 2 hours you can risk a fat-out.

Easy on the SPC with a LEM pre mix, most the time everything is in there for 5 lb batch. You can add other items, jap powder, buttermilk powder and such.

Pics?

Here's the recipe:

July 29, 2012

1 lb pork trim 80/20

1.5 tsp celery seed

1 tsp jalapeno sprinkle

Refrigerate and eat

Thanks Al
Al

Your temps.

Try to start at the 130 then bump slowly to the 170.

IE

This will give the meat time to get to the right IT. Going from 130 177 withing 2 hours you can risk a fat-out.

Easy on the SPC with a LEM pre mix, most the time everything is in there for 5 lb batch. You can add other items, jap powder, buttermilk powder and such.

Pics?
Congrats!!!!!! Where's the pics? 

Great advice coming from one of the resident experts. I did like you with all the reading and research. I now follow Rick's temps to the letter for smoking my snack sticks. BTW his pepperoni stick recipes are spot on! I've also small diced fresh japs and regular cheese - making sure it will fit through the stuffing tube! I've never used hi temp cheese because of one of Rick's threads...mine is always in there and not a melted mess either.

Thanks Rick & Alesia great advice,

I will adjust my temps next time for sure, also will do some more research on SMF recipes ,

I love this forum

Al

Rick,

just went back and read thru your AC snack stick recipe from 2/21/12 and yours are sorta wrinkled and looked more like the real "slim jim"  where mine was a whole lots more smooth. Could it have been the temps i was using?  BBL

al

Rick,

just went back and read thru your AC snack stick recipe from 2/21/12 and yours are sorta wrinkled and looked more like the real "slim jim"  where mine was a whole lots more smooth. Could it have been the temps i was using?  BBL

al
Maybe the 1 cup of SPC

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky