Legg's Plantation seasoning mix, cool smoked

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldvirginiajoe

Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Smithfield, Va.
All the old timers around here make pork sausage links, and use Leggs Plantation seasoning mix bag with some added sage. They hang the links (of natural hog casings) in the old wooden smokehouse, and cool smoke it for 2-6 hours at 80-100 degrees F. Then let it hang and cool in the smokehouse for awhile longer, before eating or freezing for later. From what I'm reading here, unless that Legg's mix contains a cure, it may not be safe?  This has been going on exactly like this for my whole (50 years) life and more, with no notice of anyone having any sickness issues. Is there something I am missing here? Maybe the Leggs does contain a cure and I don't know it (the label does not list it).  Asking Leggs about this online a few years ago did not elicit a response. What do y'all say?  (Sure does taste good!).

Under the Quick Tips heading:
[h3]Curing[/h3]
An even distribution of curing salt into a comminuted product will insure consistent color development. Consider mixing Curing Salt 6.25% Sodium Nitrite with a small amount of water prior to adding to the meat block. This will allow the curing ingredients to go into solution and provide better dispersion through the meat block.

http://www.aclegg.com/tips/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky