Latest Aaron Franklin Video by Chief Firewood - 7min 41sec

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Pure speculation on my part since I've not made the trip to Franklin's and know very little about the actual layout of the restaurant or the operation .......

But anyway, no one lets that kind of thing stop them :emoji_grinning:

He says in that vid that he's out of room for more smokers.

He could move the line faster by adding another cutting board. But then he would have to add seating. I'm guessing now, that he has customers finishing and leaving before the entire line is served ? If I recall correctly, the line is generally all served by 1 pm. Does he have room for more seating ?

From what I can tell about Franklin, he's got this thought out. As he's thought out every detail of everything else he does.

Probably, opening another location in Austin would be the end of the line. And the line may be part of the charm.

Reactions: noboundaries
Pure speculation on my part since I've not made the trip to Franklin's and know very little about the actual layout of the restaurant or the operation .......

But anyway, no one lets that kind of thing stop them :emoji_grinning:

He says in that vid that he's out of room for more smokers.

He could move the line faster by adding another cutting board. But then he would have to add seating. I'm guessing now, that he has customers finishing and leaving before the entire line is served ? If I recall correctly, the line is generally all served by 1 pm. Does he have room for more seating ?

From what I can tell about Franklin, he's got this thought out. As he's thought out every detail of everything else he does.

Probably, opening another location in Austin would be the end of the line. And the line may be part of the charm.

I've eaten once at his place when I was working in the Austin area.
His place is small. The food simply runs out by 1pm or so every day with maybe something like only turkey or pulled pork left.

With his space there is no adding another cutting board in side, they utilize all counter and seating space.

If you aren't one of the 1st in line you likely don't get inside seating unless you are closer to the front of the line and wait for seating, but most people are fine getting it to go and eating elsewhere.

I can say he makes the best brisket I have ever eaten however my brisket and plenty other's I've eaten were not far off.
The best bang for the buck is the Tipsy Texan sandwich that has a ton of brisket and other meat for like 9 bucks. It gives you meat for way cheaper than it cost alone and honestly it was the best thing I ate. The bread, the sauce, the everything was top notch!

The spare ribs were the best ribs I've had anywhere as well.
I make fantastic ribs too but his are clearly top quality that I cannot get close to unless I were to buy the same high quality pork. I don't get Berkshire or Duroc pig ribs or even have access to something like that.

I'd skip the sausage and the turkey breast. Nothing special about either and honestly the turkey breast was much weaker than most other places in Texas that serve turkey breast. You often get better sausage at other real places in Texas and he outsources though anyhow so they aren't even his own making. Why pay the price for something he didn't craft.

Anyhow, I can say I ate the best bbq items I've ever had at his place and it was worth the experience and shorter wait going on a Wed or Thu morning when I went (#10 in line at 7am... I think).

His book is a must read for anyone who wants to cook better brisket.
The wood seller is the first I've ever come across that cares about the internal moisture content of their wood.
That's pretty much the whole deal, wood with around 14% to 20% internal moisture.
Better tasting smoke, better fire and coal base control, better brisket.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky