Last night on D,D,D

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

northern greenhorn

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 11, 2010
McHenry, Illinois
I was watching one of my favorite shows last night, Diners,Drive inns, and Dives, and he was at some joint where this guy used coffee in his rub for a brisket, he didn't smoke the brisket, just seared on a grill, and slow roasted it in an oven, but I was wondering if anybody has tried using coffee in their rubs, and how it turned out, if not I'm gonna try it and see, and I'll let you all know.
icon_question.gif

Sounds interesting enough. I love that show too. I guess he is coming to our home town to do one of his episodes. We have a place called Gordy's Hi Hat which is open only seasonly. He was voted best hamburgers in Minnesota. I think he is overrated myself. He sells a killer walleye sandwhich however, but I have had better burgers.

Back to coffee. I have several recipes for bbq sauce that calls for coffee and will try one of these soon. But I have never seen a rub that called for coffee grounds.

There are several members that have and do use coffee in their rubs and they claim they are very good. Personally I don't like coffee so I've never tried it

I'd love to see some pics of it being used, and how it sets up overnight, and what it looks like slow cooked.

I love coffee, but this doesn't sound too appetizing
icon_confused.gif

Smokebuzz turned me onto it, once its mixed with the sugar and other stuff it gives some body to the bark but don't taste bitter like uncooked coffee or anything.

I have used coffe in a rub for a steak and it was one of Guy Fiere's recipes. It was really good, this was not smoked though just pan seared. I thought it was really good but I like coffee, I dont really think it had an overwhelming coffee flavor though. The kids liked it and they absolutely do not like coffee so if it gets there approval it cant be bad. The coffee in the rub that I used was balance out with some other things that were in it too. Just a thought if you dont want to try it out on a brisket maybe test run it on a chuckie and if you like it then step up to the brisket.

I've seen folks do coffee in different things, even ribs but never tried it myself.
I missed the show last night (was still catching up with Family Guy, Simpsons, Cleveland Show, Iron Chef and the brand new episode of Breaking Bad so I'll check it out tonight.

I bought my smoker on my B-Day back in Dec and I am a huge Coffee Drinker so one my neighbor picked me up a Coffee based Rub (along w/ 2 racks of BBs) from local super market (I'm at work now and i cant remeber the name for the life of me) i used it 2 or 3 times on my Ribs and it came out fairly good... I would recomend if your looking for a different taste... My neighbor bought a smoker a few weeks after me and thats the only Rub he uses...

I also saw that episode last night... got to love Triple D!

Thanks for the info, good idea BoiseQue to try it on a chuckie first. I love triple D, what a job travel around and eat different foods, and get paid, nice.

Seemed like a good idea to me when I was writing a reply it just came to me, they are less money and less time invested. Sort of no harm no foul almost if you dont care for it. If it turns out not to your liking just drown in favorite BBQ sauce and chalk it up to experience. My fianceee the kids and I all love another recipe for pork chops that you actually marinade in coffee and other things then grill the chops, boil and reduce marinade and spoon on to grilled chops. Man they are tasty and only a slight hint of any coffee flavor. Its one of Alton Browns recipes, I totally dig that guy part science part foodie. Triple D is a great show though, and yes how nice would it be to get paid to drive a sweet old car from place to place and eat everything. Must be tough...LoL!!

i've been seeing alot of bbq on the food network and travel. anyone see "the salt lick" place on man vs food. I about made a road trip to texas

I have heard of it but I have never tried it. It just seams to bitter to me but thats me too. I do like the triple D's show and I have alot of them on tape.

I love Triple D, i got the books too. That show just makes me want to jump on route 66 and ride it, stopping at all the dives along the way, maybe its because we both drive camaros? Na, i just like to drive and eat!

Guy was doing a Food/Music tour (not sure if he is still on tour) a few months ago he came around my area... Didnt hear about it till the day of... I would have loved to of checked it out...

Rock-N-Roll & Food... cant go wrong!
icon_cool.gif

I have actualy heard the opposite but who really knows. He did some live show thing here in Boise around the Holidays and lots of people thought he was arrogant and stuck up after they went. Like I said though who knows, I do like his shows though.

Just saw that the other day, very cool episode. I thought he was going to pass out from those burnt ends. I desperately need to take a trip up there, it's too close to me to have never been.

On a side note to that, I stopped in at the old Luling Market in Luling Texas once. They built a building around the old smokehouse. You walk in the building, then walk into the smokehouse to order your meat. There's literally 100 years of soot and history on the walls in there, it's really amazing.

I've been known to use instant coffee in chili, and brewed coffee in bbq sauces, but I've never tried coffee grinds in a rub. May not be a bad idea.

Guy was in Cincinnati filming DDD last week. He went to Terry's Turf Club, a local dive that has a fantastic hamburger. He was on the radio a week or two before but would only disclose the one location after the host asked if he was going there. I heard they were at Terry's for most of the day. As for coffee in recipes, I use instant in chili. It enhances other flavors without making the chili taste like a latte.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky