Last night’s ribs and bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Two back racks, one rubbed with Meat Church Deez Nuts and one with The Shed’s Rack Attack. Decided to do a 2lb bologna chub too, rubbed with Heath Riles Cherry rub.

Kamado Joe set for 250° running with just Pecan wood this time (my favorite typically being hickory/cherry 50/50).

After always doing the 2-2-1 method on ribs previously the last few cooks I’ve gone to no wrap and I greatly enjoy the ease of doing it this way. At 250° the ribs were done in 4 hours. I thought they were going to take longer so I didn’t check right at the 4 hour mark as I had my alarm set for 5 hours. About 4 hours 20 mins in they were breaking when doing the bend test so I sauced them then with Killer Hogs The BBQ Sauce.

The ribs turned out great overall. My wife commented that the end sections were pretty dry, but everything in the middle was super moist. I told her since back ribs taper off smaller on one end it’s understandable why that side may have gotten dry. Any way to really prevent that from happening or is it just a fact of life with back ribs?

The pecan wood was good. Smelled incredible during the cook. Pecan is what Melissa Cookston cooks their ribs over at our favorite bbq restaurant. I still think I give the edge to my 50/50 hickory and cherry combo I typically use though. Hickory and cherry definitely goes better for the bologna than pecan does.

One of the rubs I used was slightly off putting to me though. I had this grand plan to keep them separated to do a taste test. But in the hustle of trying to get dinner plated up, the two racks I cut up into sections kind of got lost and I no longer remembered which one was which. I’m going to guess it was the the Meat Church Deez Nuts rubbed ones I didn’t care as much for. The rub itself tastes great on its own if you just taste it out of the bottle. But it has artificial pecan flavoring already added to it. So I can’t help but wonder if then smoking over pecan wood gave it an overwhelming pecan taste I then didn’t care for?
The Rack Attack rub seemed fine, pretty standard, if in fact it was the one I think it was. The Heath Riles Cherry tastes fantastic out of the bottle. Very pronounced cherry taste. But it didn’t really come through once smoked on the bologna. Maybe bologna just isn’t a good application for this rub either? All in all it was a good cook. Leftover ribs are vac sealed to be reheated sous vide for an easy future dinner!
FDCD2D81-0BD6-46EC-9128-ABE3CA9278CE.jpeg

Forgot to take one! I’ll remember next time! Thanks.

Those ribs look great, nice piece of work! I've had a bag of pecan sitting in the storage bin for six months that I forget to use, keep doing everything in hickory. Like, RAY

Reactions: bgaviator
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky