Landjager Try. Fermento question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ddemerath

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
Janesville, WI
Nephew gave me some venison this week and asked me to make some jerky and/or sausage,  Thought I'd try some Landjager, the easy type.  The recipe calls for fermento.  Is there something I can substitute for this or do I need to order this on-line.

Thanks

I've looked and can't confirm......   Saco cultured buttermilk is very similar if not the same thing..  Grocery store item .....

: A cultured  blend of sweet cream, churned buttermilk, sweet dairy whey, and lactic acid. 

I've looked and can't confirm......   Saco cultured buttermilk is very similar if not the same thing..  Grocery store item .....

: A cultured  blend of sweet cream, churned buttermilk, sweet dairy whey, and lactic acid. 
Yep.. Ive used this before................

Yep.. Ive used this before................

Same stuff I use - got the idea from NEPAS. 

We took the plunge last night and made up 10 lbs of landjaeger last night.  Hopefully they turn out OK.  We did use the buttermilk but only had 29-32mm casings so they appear rather large.  Made up 6-8" links and they are pressed and resting in the refrigerator till I can get home from work to run them thru the smoker.  Hopefully they all fit.  I will try to get some pictures later.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky