• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Landjager Try. Fermento question

ddemerath

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 3, 2006
Nephew gave me some venison this week and asked me to make some jerky and/or sausage,  Thought I'd try some Landjager, the easy type.  The recipe calls for fermento.  Is there something I can substitute for this or do I need to order this on-line.

Thanks

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
I've looked and can't confirm......   Saco cultured buttermilk is very similar if not the same thing..  Grocery store item .....

: A cultured  blend of sweet cream, churned buttermilk, sweet dairy whey, and lactic acid. 

boykjo

Sausage maker
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 28, 2010

I've looked and can't confirm......   Saco cultured buttermilk is very similar if not the same thing..  Grocery store item .....

: A cultured  blend of sweet cream, churned buttermilk, sweet dairy whey, and lactic acid. 
Yep.. Ive used this before................

smokinhusker

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Oct 20, 2010

Yep.. Ive used this before................

Same stuff I use - got the idea from NEPAS. 

ddemerath

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 3, 2006
Thanks all for the quick replies.  I will try the buttermilk and see how it tastes!

ddemerath

Smoke Blower
Joined Oct 3, 2006
We took the plunge last night and made up 10 lbs of landjaeger last night.  Hopefully they turn out OK.  We did use the buttermilk but only had 29-32mm casings so they appear rather large.  Made up 6-8" links and they are pressed and resting in the refrigerator till I can get home from work to run them thru the smoker.  Hopefully they all fit.  I will try to get some pictures later.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.