Lamb kofta and baked feta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Ok bouncing back strong from the Favorite Chef defeat. Too windy and rainy out for grilling so cooking inside it is. Todays meal is a return to some of my favorite Mediterranean flavors. Baked feta cheese in a rich thick sauce of red peppers, onion, tomato, kalamatta olive and capers, olive oil and spices. Hints of cumin, cardamom, cilantro , cinnamon and clove in the spice profiles. Served on simple cauliflower rice with cilantro and topped with homemade lamb kofta meatball. Much of this was just cooking to taste but I can share the kofta recipe and also directional ideas on the feta dish if interested. I’m not usually a huge feta fan but baked it’s very nice. Gets crispy on the outside and soft in the middle without actually melting. chopsaw chopsaw recognize anything in that meatball pic?
9272F222-84CF-4E77-8D0F-6688B8B8AF70.jpeg
F68099C5-9F5C-4386-B527-909DB794EE81.jpeg
30945A80-61BE-4EF7-BABA-8923A9B2589E.jpeg
EF82BAB8-F86F-4818-8376-6E88BCAC8303.jpeg
03736479-6CDE-4258-ACFA-00386B5608E3.jpeg
2694E6EE-7C77-4EC2-A8C6-D317BD42959B.jpeg
0F9C799D-31EE-4173-A8F6-F7FFBDD8FE6E.jpeg
C36B3898-6B40-4F0E-8291-79C42B5C9E87.jpeg
D760B263-449A-4802-B4B7-77FAC95066C0.jpeg

Interested in your kufteh recipe.As a 100% Armenian those don't look like any kufteh I've seen.

Being that they're made with meat they would be the Poorov variety made with lamb and/or beef with an outer shell of bulger/meat stuffed with the same meat and minced onions for the most basic recipe.

Would really like to see the recipe you use as I think it would make a great stuffing for the outer shell.

Interested in your kufteh recipe.As a 100% Armenian those don't look like any kufteh I've seen.

Being that they're made with meat they would be the Poorov variety made with lamb and/or beef with an outer shell of bulger/meat stuffed with the same meat and minced onions for the most basic recipe.

Would really like to see the recipe you use as I think it would make a great stuffing for the outer shell.
I think that while Lebanese kofta and Armenian kufteh share some similarities in flavors they are different in how they are served. The kofta I made into meatballs is often rolled around a kebab skewers and grilled. I’ve bought it in that form in wife’s a few restaurants in Michigan and Toronto. Below is the basic recipe I use. I usually add a little allspice too. Lamb Kofta Ingredients:

½ cup each of almonds and walnuts (can use pine nuts too)
1 ½ small onions
4 ½ cloves minced garlic
1 ½ medium red bell pepper
2 medium jalapenos seeded
¾ cup cilantro
1 tsp cumin
1/3 tsp each cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and pepper
2 ¼ tsp salt
3 lbs. of ground lamb
Chop nuts fine in a food processor and toast lightly in a pan. Cut up and finely mince the rest of the veggies in the food processor. Squeeze as much juice as possible out of them in a fine mesh strainer or use cheesecloth. Mix all ingredients thoroughly with the lamb and refrigerate overnight to let flavors

Looks to be another picture-perfect cook to me Jeff, I sit in awe of your culinary creative talents. Like! RAY

Reactions: jcam222
Certainly makes for some Pretty food. I love the spice combination of Middle Eastern Cuisine...JJ

Jeff that is just astonishing. Another superb looking meal and world class presentation. As always, outstanding work my friend!!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky