Kielbasa start to finish for Chef Jimmy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which cut of meat do you prefer for making sausage

• Boston Butts

Votes: 19 10.9%
  • Pork Shoulder

Votes: 100 57.5%
  • Loin Ends

Votes: 56 32.2%
  • Country Ribs

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You do great work Shannon!!!! i've been using ounces over the years but i think i'm going to pick up one of those metric scales. Never to old to learn LOL. I went through the entire thread and am very impressed with your helpfull tips to all who asked questions.  That smoked picnic looks awesome!!. Reinhard
Thanks for the compliments Reinhard.  Once you start using metric weights, you will never want to go back.  It is so nice because you can think of your recipes in percentages  So much easier to adjust from .5% to .6% than going from 2tsp to ?.  The hardest part of Metric is conversion to English.  If you keep your recipes in grams per kilograms you never have to convert. 

I have made this a couple of times and the Recipe never fails. I have made sausage of many types before but Shannon has been kind enough to work with me in person and has increased my ability and knowledge 100%. Thanks again my friend...JJ

very very nice !~~~~~~~~~  if I can do that I would be  so  proud  and  happy ~!!!!!   thank you for all the  great info ...........
Looks-Great.gif

Dumb question but how else do we learn.  Am I correct that depending on how much your "butt" weighs (haha sorry) you then take that ratio and times it out for the others to get the actual.

I am actually making a picnic ham right now.  The recipe calls it Bauernschinken or Peasant's Ham.  I can't wait till Christmas and the tasting.
Ham Kielbasa is delicious, if I could find a recipe for that I would jump for joy.  I would make a ham, dice it into a little enough size so as to be able to go through the stuffer with some other ground pork.  Oh, only if I knew the rest of the recipe.......

Dumb question but how else do we learn.  Am I correct that depending on how much your "butt" weighs (haha sorry) you then take that ratio and times it out for the others to get the actual.
The ratio is determined by dividing the weight, in grams, of your trimmed meat by 1000.  Then, as you correctly stated, "take that ratio and times it out for the others" to get the actual amount required for your scenario.

For example, I made this using 2293 grams of trimmed pork butt.  2293 / 1000 = 2.29.  In this case I multiplied the remaining ingredients by 2.29 and ended up with the following amounts:

Kosher salt 38.9 gr

Cure #1 5.1 gr

Cracked Black Pepper 9.2 gr

Minced Garlic 11.5 gr

Cold Water 263.4 gr

Chef JJ turned me on to this recipe. Made some Friday, didn't have the same wood so I used oak and peach. I will need to get some pellets ordered from Todd, but they came out great.

I also made a conversion chart for the weights. Just type in the pork weight in the appropriate column, and the rest will be calculated for you.

here are some pics using my Weber sausage racks for the first time.

Thanks JJ and Shannon.

Last edited:
Sorry guys for not replying sooner, but have been on vacation since the middle of November.  It looks like all the questions were answered.  Many thanks for the kind words, enjoy the recipe.

Great looking keilbasa Shannon! Looks just like mine when it's finished. I made 50lbs yesterday and will let it sit till tomorrow. I only have 250 lbs more to make for Xmas season. Again, nice job!

You have a beautiful product. Thanx for sharing your knowledge. I have been using info from lets make sausage dot com and they seem to being the kielbasa to 153 at max and then cold water bath. The smoker temp recommendation is said to beat approx 165 . I am having a haed time regulating my temp in my portable smoker i am exploring fixes at this tiime. Is there a reason you finish it in a hot bath rather than a cold one. THX?

Hi Sega,

I smoke at a lower temperature, so it never really gets to the right temperature. The hot water bath brings the internal temperature up rather quickly, and helps reduce case hardening

I came to this link from Chef Jimmy. Waht a great straight forward simple recipe. Even though it's an old link  Thx for posting. Point

This recipe sounds great and something I can do. Question about the cure. Is the cure for ground, cubed, and whole meats the same? In this recipe the rate of cure is below, not by much, the 6.25% I’ve read about. Or am I just being paranoid?

The cure in the recipe is Cure #1, aka Prague Powder, 6.25% Nitrite. It's used for short curing times, Belly Bacon, Brine Injected Hams, Sausages like this Kielbasa and such.
What type of cure or Nitrite percentage are you talking about?...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky