"Kick Ass" Smoked Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

franklin3

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
Monterey Bay
I found this brine recipe online and thought I'd give it a go.

Mix usual brine of salt and sugar then go crazy in the spice rack.

1/4 C per Gal.  your favorite spice rub.

1/4 C Apple cider vinegar

!/4 C Red Pepper flakes

5 Sprigs of Rosemary

8 oz. of Molasses.

But First I had to go to my local....................Boat and get me some fresh Salmon.  At an cost to inventory ratio of a mere $10,000.00 per fish.
a9c91b01_todayscatch.jpg

Then get back to the harbor safely, clean the boat, drive an hour back home, scale and filet the fish,  Blah blah blah. etcetera etcetera etcetera.

c0e376f1_fileted.jpg

still processing fish, cleaning the cooler, plus all the stuff I accidently dropped on the floor while trying to make room in the fridge,  blah blah blah.
8f7a82da_Chunkedup.jpg

The racks are holding the chunks down.  Into the fridge until tommorow and then we will see if I can keep from drying them out to much.

Nice looking fish.  I am jealous.

But what "Bay Area" are you from.  There are many, and each one seems to think they are the only one.  I would like to get there before you?

Good luck and good smoking!

Great catch. I used to get mine the same way when I lived out there....watch out for those Sea Lions.....Ha !!!

Sea Lins are nothing but giant furbags that steal your fish every chance they get.  Fortunately they dont get bad around the Monterey bay where I fish it's easier for them if they hang out under the charter party boats that mooch.  My boat is a small private boat and I troll so the furbags have to really want to steal my fish bad to keep up with me.

Fish are on their second hour of smoke at 180.  Hope they come out early my son dropped off a couple turkey breasts he wants me to throw in the smoker.

Gonna be a long night.  Fortunately I am off until next Monday.

The salmon came out real good and my son came by with the breasts from a wild turkey he killed yesterday that he brined overnight in salt, sugar and chilli garlic paste so after the salmon was done I put them in the smoker.    Haven't tried them yet but they sure smell good!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky