KFP: Kettle fried pork steaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 16, 2016
Creswell OR
If you have ever had "Shake-n-bake" chicken or pork before, you already know how good (and so simple) it can be. These here pork steaks were done on the Kettle with the vortex and a chunk of peach wood. WOW! Mamma approved as well. Definitely on the "will be making them again" list.

Since I am trying to cut down on fried foods, and I don't have an air fryer... Hot and fast cruising at ~550'. Let me tell you that peachwood really worked with this cook!

That looks really good BEV. I've made chicken tenders, kettle fried chicken, chicken fried steaks, and chicken parmesan using the Kettle/Vortex combo.

Point for sure.

Chris

That looks really good BEV. I've made chicken tenders, kettle fried chicken, chicken fried steaks, and chicken parmesan using the Kettle/Vortex combo.

Point for sure.

Chris

Well Chris, I am all ears for learning different "batters" that work in the Kettle like that. Probably same ones that would work in an air fryer or convection oven frying methods. Thanks for the point.

That looks really good.

Thanks Adam. I was blown away for sure. Found out I just LOVE the peachwood! Similar to cherry, but something just a bit different about it. Thanks for the like.

Nice.I'm always a sucker for a fat chop.Yours fit the Bill nicely.
Thanks! Who doesn't like a fat chop? These are shoulder steaks. Boneless Butts were on sale, so I snagged another twin pack. I cut as many steaks as possible out of the larger side of where the Y (blade) bone is. The other sections tend to be smaller that I use for sausage, stir fry, kebabs, etc.

Often times I will pound out the steaks flat before I bread them when frying. But I cant make up my mind if doing that would be any improvement over the way these were done- Crispy edges and tender and juicy insides. If I wanted them more crisp like fried texture, thin and smaller cuts would be better.

Well Chris, I am all ears for learning different "batters" that work in the Kettle like that. Probably same ones that would work in an air fryer or convection oven frying methods. Thanks for the point.

My wife and I are also trying to stay clear of foods fried in oil. So I've been experimenting with different methods. In my signature I've included chicken tenders and Kettle fried chicken. Both were really good and very close to the flavor and texture we were looking for. The tenders were spot on. The KFC I put the chicken on to early. The grates weren't hot enough so I had a small sticking issue. I've also made chicken fried steak and sausage gravy it turned out really good. Your right - anything done in an air fryer can be done on the kettle(imho). Below is a link to my chicken fried steak. I like the shake-n-bake idea and will definetly give it a go. Thanks.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/chicken-fried-steak-and-sausage-gravy.275549/

Chris

If you have ever had "Shake-n-bake" chicken or pork before, you already know how good (and so simple) it can be. These here pork steaks were done on the Kettle with the vortex and a chunk of peach wood. WOW! Mamma approved as well. Definitely on the "will be making them again" list.
Those look good, and your right grill frying is a way to cut down on the grease from frying. I did chicken thighs and even egg plant.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky