Chicken Fried Steak and Sausage Gravy.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
On mothers day I bought the wife a couple of 1.5 twin lobsters. I didn't dare offer to cook these on the grill(for fear of my life) so into a pot of seasoned boiling water they went and she was a happy camper. Since she had the lobsters I had a free cook day to do something that I like.

I think it was last month that I made battered chicken on the Kettle. Well this month I wanted to try and improve upon a dish that I have enjoyed for many-a-year. It's not a dish I would eat everyday or month, but I think my arteries can handle it two or three times a year. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did/do.

Started off browning off a pound of Jimmy Dean sausage.

DSC00541.JPG

Once browned pull it out of the pan and let it sit all by it's lonesome. Don't drain the grease or wipe out the pan. Them there are good eats.
DSC00542.JPG

The basic mixin's for this dish.
DSC00543.JPG

On low heat melt the stick of butter(plus a pad - thanks Grams).
DSC00544.JPG

Once melted, toss in allpurpose flour. Can't say as to what quantity. I just eyeball it like my grandmother taught me. Also add in heavy cream and seasonings at this time and stir till you get the desired thicknes and color in the sauce you want. You can add more milk or flour if it's too loose or thick.
DSC00545.JPG

I thought I had a shot of the flour, seasonings and butter stirred together. Guess not, sorry but you can see the color your shooting for below. This is with the sausage mixed back in.
DSC00546.JPG

Now for the cube steak.
DSC00547.JPG

After a good beat-down with Thor's hammer.
DSC00548.JPG

Amost forgot to get the Kettle fired up.
DSC00549.JPG

Put the Vortex down over the lit cube and add some coals.
DSC00550.JPG

Mean while back inside the egg and seasoned flour are prep'd.
DSC00551.JPG

The vortex is hot. It pegged my therm. Spud's are on. One sweet, one russet.
DSC00552.JPG

Dredged the cube steak in flour, then the eggwash then back into the flour. Time for the grill. this is after the first flip. With a chunk of hickory for added flavor.
DSC00553.JPG

Off the grill and onto the platter.
DSC00554.JPG

Plated shot. I forgot the corn on the cob. bummer.
DSC00555.JPG

Sliced shot. You can't see it in this picture, but there is a tiny smoke ring present.
DSC00556.JPG

That's all she wrote folks. If you made it this far I hope you weren't dissapointed. Things I would do differently. First I probably wouldn't give the cube steak such a beat down, and would probably buy bigger steaks. Note: if you find some of the flour didn't brown up just give it a quick spray with some Pam.

Thanks again. Any suggestions or pointers are more then welcome.

Chris

Chris That is fantastic looking plate,I have done chicken dredged in flour going to have to try with the egg.Points I am sure your Grandma would be proud.
Richie

Love it Chris!
Chicken fried Steak and Gravy is a favorite of mine.
Biscuits and Gravy for breakfast, Chicken Fried Steak for Dinner, and work hard in between.

Looks great! Did you ever ask why the extra pat of butter? Grandma would likely say, "because that's the way my mom did it." If you could ask Great Grandma about it, the likely answer would be, " There was an extra pat left from breakfast, so I threw it in."...JJ

That looks outstanding Chris! I love country/chicken fried steak. Never thought to do the cube steak on the grill will have to give that a shot. Points for sure!

Looks Great, Chris!!:)
Looks Mighty Tasty!

Real nice Step by Step too---I like them!!
Like.

Bear

Chris That is fantastic looking plate,I have done chicken dredged in flour going to have to try with the egg.Points I am sure your Grandma would be proud.
Richie

Thanks Richie, I know she would be proud. Try the egg wash I think you'll like it, and thanks for the like and nice words.

Love it Chris!
Chicken fried Steak and Gravy is a favorite of mine.
Biscuits and Gravy for breakfast, Chicken Fried Steak for Dinner, and work hard in between.

I agree Sonny. Biscuits and gravy were slated for the next day. I have to learn how to make a good biscuit through. It's definitely a hearty meal that needs to be worked off. Thanks for the kind words and like.

Looks great! Did you ever ask why the extra pat of butter? Grandma would likely say, "because that's the way my mom did it." If you could ask Great Grandma about it, the likely answer would be, " There was an extra pat left from breakfast, so I threw it in."...JJ

I appreciate the kind words Jimmyj, I never had to ask what the extra pad meant. She told me every time she made sausage gravy at my parents house. "...one stick of butter for flavor, and an extra pad for love". Then she'd give me a kiss on the cheek and a pat on the head.

That looks outstanding Chris! I love country/chicken fried steak. Never thought to do the cube steak on the grill will have to give that a shot. Points for sure!

Thanks SmokinVol, Since it was a free cooking day I wanted to try and expand the use of the Vortex beyond wings and steak. I came out really good. Will be doing this again and again. Thanks for the like and kindly words.

What a great looking meal, great job

Appreciate the nice words dcecil. it was a very tasty meal. Weather permitting it will be my go to way of making it.

Chris

Hmmm... batter breading on a grill? Now that's crazy! Woulda never thought possible...
Looks fantastic! This give me ideas for beer battered Ling Cod. Im trying to cut out frying in oil so much. Kind of like an air fryer with smoke!

Wow, Chris. That turned out awesome!

Thanks Geebs, I was pleasantly surprised.

Looks Great, Chris!!:)
Looks Mighty Tasty!

Real nice Step by Step too---I like them!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks for the compliment Bear. I know I missed a few steps, but they were only minor ones. It's tough taking pictures when the wife is in the background chuckling. She still thinks I weird taking pictures of supper.

Hmmm... batter breading on a grill? Now that's crazy! Woulda never thought possible...
Looks fantastic! This give me ideas for beer battered Ling Cod. Im trying to cut out frying in oil so much. Kind of like an air fryer with smoke!

Thanks for the kind words browneyes, It works really well. You just have to have a means to get a high enough heat. A word of caution. The Vortex gets the old Kettle extremely hot. I had to use an insolated glove to remove the lid. Don't ask.

I've always like Bisquick for biscuits.

Sonny, I've tried that route - results were poor to disgusting. I'm not a baker by any means, measuring and I don't get along. For now I'll stick to Flakey Pillsbury giant biscuits.

Chris

"She still thinks I weird taking pictures of supper."

My wife thinks the same, I just tell her I want to share my success with fellow smokers.

Thanks for the compliment Bear. I know I missed a few steps, but they were only minor ones. It's tough taking pictures when the wife is in the background chuckling. She still thinks I weird taking pictures of supper.

Chris

LOL---Everybody's pretty much used to the Pic routine around here, except maybe if we have guests.
Might get a couple of WTF looks from the guests, until I explain.

Bear

I
Thanks Richie, I know she would be proud. Try the egg wash I think you'll like it, and thanks for the like and nice words.

I agree Sonny. Biscuits and gravy were slated for the next day. I have to learn how to make a good biscuit through. It's definitely a hearty meal that needs to be worked off. Thanks for the kind words and like.

I appreciate the kind words Jimmyj, I never had to ask what the extra pad meant. She told me every time she made sausage gravy at my parents house. "...one stick of butter for flavor, and an extra pad for love". Then she'd give me a kiss on the cheek and a pat on the head.

Thanks SmokinVol, Since it was a free cooking day I wanted to try and expand the use of the Vortex beyond wings and steak. I came out really good. Will be doing this again and again. Thanks for the like and kindly words.

Appreciate the nice words dcecil. it was a very tasty meal. Weather permitting it will be my go to way of making it.

Chris
m definitely putting that on my menu

Chris
im definitely putting this in my menu

Sonny, I've tried that route - results were poor to disgusting. I'm not a baker by any means, measuring and I don't get along. For now I'll stick to Flakey Pillsbury giant biscuits.

Hey that is a great way to go too!
I have no qualms about using what is available.

Ha, Ha! We had a bunch of half a hot dog, rolled in Popin Fresh dough, baked in the oven the other day with some Grey Poupon mustard.
We both liked them. Better than hot dog buns.

Ha, Ha! We had a bunch of half a hot dog, rolled in Popin Fresh dough, baked in the oven the other day with some Grey Poupon mustard.

If you liked those Hot Dogs, you should try these:
Cheesesteak Hot Pockets

Bear

Reactions: SonnyE

If you liked those Hot Dogs, you should try these:
Cheesesteak Hot Pockets

Bear

Sonny, sounds good. The bread to hot dog ratio in a normal hot dog roll is to lopsided. On the roll side.

Bear I used your method to make Pigs-in-a-blanket a short time ago. It worked great. Spit the dog down the middle grilled them up on the Kettle, smothered in cheese, then into the oven till browned. Actually used two dogs per. Ummmm good.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky