Kettle Pizza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
So I have done a couple pizzas in the kettle now. To be honest they really not any better than the oven. They are in there such a short time really dont pick up much smoke. Maybe more fun.

20191004_180033.jpg 20190927_143300.jpg

I put pizza on screen then on stone. They come out pretty good but so do they in oven. I guess I was just expecting more. In oven take 15 minutes and grill 5.

What temp does your grill get to when you do them. I get mine up to around 900* I’m pretty sure we have the same set up. I’ve found out using the blocks of cheese and shredding them the day of the pizza is better than the bagged cheese, also do you let your toppings sit out and get to room temp? I’ve noticed that helps cook way better. I use http://www.pizzacreator.net/ for my crust recipe and use American for type of pizza then advanced settings and change hydration to 58. And what type of flour are you using? My buddy got me hooked on making pizzas on the kettle his are probably the best pizza I’ve had and not I’m trying to get it down. Took him about 2 years to perfect it and I’m close to a year. So don’t feel bad. Like you said at least it’s grilling can’t beat that

Have you considered using parchment paper under the pizza. Easy press out on or if you prefer to roll the dough. Slide onto your pizza stick and slide onto stone. Easy removal, paper will burn around ends. I generally go to 500-50 but that's in a kamado

I have to disagree with some of these comments, cause I think the kettle pizza is the best pizza I have ever had. Did you get the SS plate that goes over the pizza to keep the top of the pizza hot. I also cut down on the size of my fire & I don't put any wood or coals right under the stone. Usually takes about 15-20 minutes with a smaller fire & also don't load the pizza up with ingredients. In this case less is better. It takes a little playing around with it, but when you get it right, I guarantee you, no more oven pizzas!
Al

For a Kamado the plate goes under the stone distributing the heat around and keeping the stone at even temp. The heat is then directed up higher in the chamber for the melting goodness. That's how I roll, seems to work well. Sorry, your pizza looks great, never threw a piece away

I have to disagree with some of these comments, cause I think the kettle pizza is the best pizza I have ever had. Did you get the SS plate that goes over the pizza to keep the top of the pizza hot. I also cut down on the size of my fire & I don't put any wood or coals right under the stone. Usually takes about 15-20 minutes with a smaller fire & also don't load the pizza up with ingredients. In this case less is better. It takes a little playing around with it, but when you get it right, I guarantee you, no more oven pizzas!
Al

Do you have a picture of your set up?

Do you have a picture of your set up?

Here you go.
Al

Reactions: sawhorseray
Here you go.

Thanks. That is kinda of pricy but looks like it works. Gonna try lower temp next time. It been running around 900.

Here you go.
Al

Boy howdy I sure like the look of your setup Al! I don't know if it'd work for me, I really load my pizzas up, they weigh about 5-6 pounds by the time I put them in the oven. I found this old post of mine from 2014, realized I haven't used that dough recipe for years now, and I wonder why. RAY

pizza.jpg

Reactions: forktender
Actually any type of grill can be used. I use both of my propane grills and they work great.

I don't know how to include my post in this thread but it was called: Fathers' Day Pizzapaloza!

If you have any questions about how I do it I will be happy to help.

While I'm at it. . . How do you include a post in a thread like SmokinAl SmokinAl and sawhorseray sawhorseray did above?

John

Last edited:
I don't know how to include my post in this thread but it was called: Fathers' Day Pizzapaloza! If you have any questions about how I do it I will be happy to help. John

When you open the link from your old post right click and "copy" it from the menu bar, then you can right click to "paste" it into the new post. I found it, here it is! Hope this helps John. RAY

Reactions: BandCollector
Im thinking maybe take one of my old grates and using extra heavy duty foil to create an upper shield kinda like that SS one. Worth a shot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky