Fathers' Day Pizzapaloza!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Was sent a video by the company from which I purchased my baking steel plates which I normally use in my oven to bake pizzas. In the tutorial it showed how to convert your gas grill into a pizza oven. Well, I must say, not only was I intrigued but completely surprised as to how easy it was to crank out perfectly baked pizzas! I figured what the heck. Summer, Father's Day, beautiful weather forecasted, why not Invite my boys and their wives over for the initial experimental run.

Used my Broilmaster P3 propane grill. Video showed using fire bricks to make the chamber but since my youngest son has a kiln for firing his pottery he gave me some ceramic brick which is used to separate the multi levels in his kiln. They worked perfectly.

IMG_0783.jpg

Cranked up the heat to bring the steel plates up to temp. Not sure how accurate the gauge was but that baby was hot!

IMG_0791.jpg

In went the pizza. All it took was 5 minutes! Yep, I was surprised as well. The lid was down of course during baking.

IMG_0784.jpg

Finished product. . . Delicious! If you have any steel plate lying around give this a try. Easiest way to keep your kitchen cool during a gathering.

IMG_0789.jpg

Great looking pizza! I've been looking into possibly getting the camp chef pizza oven attachment for my grill but thats looking like a cheaper alternative that works great. Thanks for posting

Huh...I got an old gas grill we never got rid of <an old Dukane infact>. Wonder if it'll work for that.

So you didn't need to adjust the propane at all? Just the steel, then the firebricks?

Huh...I got an old gas grill we never got rid of <an old Dukane infact>. Wonder if it'll work for that.

So you didn't need to adjust the propane at all? Just the steel, then the firebricks?

This will work with any grill. Natural gas or propane.

All you do is set the steel on top of the bricks creating a cooking chamber that bakes the pizza. I happen to have had two steels so I used one on the bottom to set the pizza on and the second one to cover the chamber. The video actually used one steel which was on top of the bricks and the pizza was placed directly on the cooking grates.

There really isn't anything to adjust. Run the grill at the highest setting for a few minutes to get the chamber hot and have at it.

Thats a great lookin pie. I will have to try this.

Thanks for letting us know about this! Gonna have to try it then!

Guess I'll need to visit the hardware store for some sheet metal!

Thanks for letting us know about this! Gonna have to try it then!

Guess I'll need to visit the hardware store for some sheet metal!

Tom,

Not too sure if sheet metal will work. The steel plates which I used were 1/4" thick and are able to absorb and withstand the high heat. These were purposely designed to be substituted for pizza stones. But then again, if you're only using the sheet metal for a cover and the cooking grates to put the pizza on perhaps it will work.

Anxious to know how it works out though!

John

Last edited:

That old Ducane was the premier natural gas grill of its time. Quality materials, well designed, and very durable. It should be able to handle a grilled pizza.

I know this because I do the service work for a small company that sells and services natural gas grills, fire place logs, lamps, and heaters. I work on Ducane grills periodically that are still in use and are still going strong.

You should be fine with your old Ducane!

John

Reactions: TomKnollRFV
Most likely not much cheaper than the Camp Chef pizza grill attachment, those pizza steels aren't cheap.

It's true that the pizza steels are not "Dollar Store" cheap, but they are well made, have multi uses, can be used on any grill, and will last a lifetime if properly cared for.

I use mine all the time and am very happy with this new use of my grill as a pizza oven.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky