• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Kettle Pizza

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Pizza looks good! I could see the kettle being better if you’re oven doesn’t get as hot.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
If nothing else. . . Your kitchen will not get hot from a 500˚ oven.

I may be imagining this but I think they always taste better when made in a grill.

I make mine on my grills quite often.

Nice looking Pizza! Like.

John BandCollector BandCollector

Last edited:

Brian Trommater

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 1, 2018
I put pizza on screen then on stone. They come out pretty good but so do they in oven. I guess I was just expecting more. In oven take 15 minutes and grill 5.

Hawaiianbrian

Meat Mopper
Joined Dec 7, 2017
What temp does your grill get to when you do them. I get mine up to around 900* I’m pretty sure we have the same set up. I’ve found out using the blocks of cheese and shredding them the day of the pizza is better than the bagged cheese, also do you let your toppings sit out and get to room temp? I’ve noticed that helps cook way better. I use http://www.pizzacreator.net/ for my crust recipe and use American for type of pizza then advanced settings and change hydration to 58. And what type of flour are you using? My buddy got me hooked on making pizzas on the kettle his are probably the best pizza I’ve had and not I’m trying to get it down. Took him about 2 years to perfect it and I’m close to a year. So don’t feel bad. Like you said at least it’s grilling can’t beat that

Tyrus

Joined Feb 13, 2020
Have you considered using parchment paper under the pizza. Easy press out on or if you prefer to roll the dough. Slide onto your pizza stick and slide onto stone. Easy removal, paper will burn around ends. I generally go to 500-50 but that's in a kamado

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I have to disagree with some of these comments, cause I think the kettle pizza is the best pizza I have ever had. Did you get the SS plate that goes over the pizza to keep the top of the pizza hot. I also cut down on the size of my fire & I don't put any wood or coals right under the stone. Usually takes about 15-20 minutes with a smaller fire & also don't load the pizza up with ingredients. In this case less is better. It takes a little playing around with it, but when you get it right, I guarantee you, no more oven pizzas!
Al

Tyrus

Joined Feb 13, 2020
For a Kamado the plate goes under the stone distributing the heat around and keeping the stone at even temp. The heat is then directed up higher in the chamber for the melting goodness. That's how I roll, seems to work well. Sorry, your pizza looks great, never threw a piece away

Brian Trommater

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 1, 2018
I have to disagree with some of these comments, cause I think the kettle pizza is the best pizza I have ever had. Did you get the SS plate that goes over the pizza to keep the top of the pizza hot. I also cut down on the size of my fire & I don't put any wood or coals right under the stone. Usually takes about 15-20 minutes with a smaller fire & also don't load the pizza up with ingredients. In this case less is better. It takes a little playing around with it, but when you get it right, I guarantee you, no more oven pizzas!
Al
Do you have a picture of your set up?

SmokinAl

Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Do you have a picture of your set up?
Here you go.
Al

Brian Trommater

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 1, 2018
Here you go.

Thanks. That is kinda of pricy but looks like it works. Gonna try lower temp next time. It been running around 900.

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
Here you go.
Al
Boy howdy I sure like the look of your setup Al! I don't know if it'd work for me, I really load my pizzas up, they weigh about 5-6 pounds by the time I put them in the oven. I found this old post of mine from 2014, realized I haven't used that dough recipe for years now, and I wonder why. RAY

pizza.jpg

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 4, 2009
Actually any type of grill can be used. I use both of my propane grills and they work great.

I don't know how to include my post in this thread but it was called: Fathers' Day Pizzapaloza!

If you have any questions about how I do it I will be happy to help.

While I'm at it. . . How do you include a post in a thread like SmokinAl SmokinAl and sawhorseray sawhorseray did above?

John

Last edited:

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Your Pizza Looks Great, from the Den, Brian!!!
Nice Job!!
Like.

Bear

sawhorseray

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2014
I don't know how to include my post in this thread but it was called: Fathers' Day Pizzapaloza! If you have any questions about how I do it I will be happy to help. John
When you open the link from your old post right click and "copy" it from the menu bar, then you can right click to "paste" it into the new post. I found it, here it is! Hope this helps John. RAY

Brian Trommater

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 1, 2018
Im thinking maybe take one of my old grates and using extra heavy duty foil to create an upper shield kinda like that SS one. Worth a shot.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.