Keto Sweet Mango Hot Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I’ve meant to try a sweeter “fruity” version for awhile. Finally processed some yesterday. Started out with about a 6 week old 3.5% brine Yellow Scotch Bonnet ferment. (One was used at 4 weeks for my Jamaican Fire sauce)
131D3DA3-9687-4CE5-8227-226C508B0A9C.jpeg
For the mango flavoring I used about a cup of this Ocean Spray Diet Cranberry Mango. Super low sugar and straight mango flavor. No hint of cranberry. If u you ou do low sugar for any reason and haven’t tried this line of drinks you should they have pineapple, grape and cherry versions too
4C69DE05-4C47-4085-A67D-ECBDA356729C.jpeg
To give it a more pronounced mango flavor I added about a dropper and a half of Oooflavors Ripe Mango. This company has an INSANE selection of flavorings. I also just bought pineapple and corn tortilla flavor.
A584EE91-4558-4DCF-99AA-EEDE775D83F5.jpeg
Also added around 2 cups of brine and 1/4 cup white vinegar along with 4T Splenda and 1/4t xanthan. Mixed multiple times in the Vitamix while adjusting taste. The Vitamix works so well no need to strain. PH 3.4 on the finished sauce which is exactly what the PH of the finished ferment was. Invited over a buddy for taste testing prior to bottling the next day.
585FDAED-1DDD-450A-8A87-55C75F114EE3.jpeg
2A11AF75-2CE3-42C5-A4FC-60C90A510016.jpeg
This came out better than expected. My friend has tried all my batches and this is now his top favorite sauce. It’s slightly tangy sweet with mango followed by a pronounced fiery finish. What started as a whim will now be a permanent add to the rotation. May test on some wings soon. Thanks for looking!

Wow! That sounds like a great hot sauce Jeff! I'm thinking about getting some habs to try this weekend. About how many do you use for a half gallon?

Wow! That sounds like a great hot sauce Jeff! I'm thinking about getting some habs to try this weekend. About how many do you use for a half gallon?
I am thinking a pound but not sure. I just bought two lbs. Will have to pay attention this time!

Reactions: Steve H
Looks and sounds awesome!

Is the use of the diet version souly for the purpose of the low sugar? I cook quite a bit with the Ocean Spray 100% products as the diet is almost flavorless in comparison.

Looks and sounds awesome!

Is the use of the diet version souly for the purpose of the low sugar? I cook quite a bit with the Ocean Spray 100% products as the diet is almost flavorless in comparison.
Yep just for the flavor and super low sugar. For my low sugar adjusted taste the Diet versions are robust with flavor. Have you tried them?

Looks awfully good from here Jeff.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: jcam222
I’ve meant to try a sweeter “fruity” version for awhile. Finally processed some yesterday. Started out with about a 6 week old 3.5% brine Yellow Scotch Bonnet ferment. (One was used at 4 weeks for my Jamaican Fire sauce) View attachment 652794For the mango flavoring I used about a cup of this Ocean Spray Diet Cranberry Mango. Super low sugar and straight mango flavor. No hint of cranberry. If u you ou do low sugar for any reason and haven’t tried this line of drinks you should they have pineapple, grape and cherry versions too View attachment 652795To give it a more pronounced mango flavor I added about a dropper and a half of Oooflavors Ripe Mango. This company has an INSANE selection of flavorings. I also just bought pineapple and corn tortilla flavor.View attachment 652796Also added around 2 cups of brine and 1/4 cup white vinegar along with 4T Splenda and 1/4t xanthan. Mixed multiple times in the Vitamix while adjusting taste. The Vitamix works so well no need to strain. PH 3.4 on the finished sauce which is exactly what the PH of the finished ferment was. Invited over a buddy for taste testing prior to bottling the next day.View attachment 652797View attachment 652798This came out better than expected. My friend has tried all my batches and this is now his top favorite sauce. It’s slightly tangy sweet with mango followed by a pronounced fiery finish. What started as a whim will now be a permanent add to the rotation. May test on some wings soon. Thanks for looking!
I have to get into this, what is everyone using for fermenting equipment?

For hot sauce I’m using half gallon mason jars, metal lid airlocks, glass weights and visco disks to hold things below the brine. All from Amazon. I can link things if you want

Grab some mason jars and this kit and you are off and rolling. I just got this one for Christmas to add to my growing collection. Artcome 28 Pcs Fermentation Kit-5 Stainless Steel Fermentation Lids, 5 Glass Weights, 5 Airlocks, 6 Silicone Rings, 6 Silicone Grommet, 1 Silicone Tong for Wide Mouth Mason Jar(Jars Not Included) https://a.co/d/0n0u38D

Reactions: KM0AGA and clifish
Grab some mason jars and this kit and you are off and rolling. I just got this one for Christmas to add to my growing collection. Artcome 28 Pcs Fermentation Kit-5 Stainless Steel Fermentation Lids, 5 Glass Weights, 5 Airlocks, 6 Silicone Rings, 6 Silicone Grommet, 1 Silicone Tong for Wide Mouth Mason Jar(Jars Not Included) https://a.co/d/0n0u38D
so these could be used on any size wide mouth jars? what size do you you use.

so these could be used on any size wide mouth jars? what size do you you use.
I use1/2 gallon jars. With the weights and head space. It is more economical to use 1/2 gallon jars. I use quart mason jars if there is left over. And not enough for another 1/2 gallon.

Jeff Looks great sounds awesome!! Do you cook the sauce before bottling it? What program do you use to make the labels?
Richie

Another great look batch!
If you ever have a chance or see Manzano Peppers give them a try. They are a black seeded pepper that looks kind of like a hab but bigger with much thicker and juicier.
They release so much juice when fermenting that you may have to dump some brine.
Called the Spanish apple because it has a fruity but also quite hot flavor.
Looks fantastic and I bet tastes even better!

Jeff Looks great sounds awesome!! Do you cook the sauce before bottling it? What program do you use to make the labels?
Richie
I do not cook or hot bottle my sauce. I do make sure my PH is around 3.5 or less. I use a label template that came with the labels. It’s pretty clunky but I hack through it. I’m looking for something more intuitive. nicebottles Decorative Labels for Hot Sauce Bottles - 120 Blank Hot Sauce Labels, Perfect for 5oz Woozy https://a.co/d/5n8WnLy
Man you are killing me Jeff! When you start selling these I will be first one to line up!
I have been selling a little locally to acquaintances. Have to do on the down low as the requirements above board are so comprehensive it would only make sense as a full scale full time business. Not covered under cottage laws in Ohio. I am shipping some this week as well.
Another great look batch!
If you ever have a chance or see Manzano Peppers give them a try. They are a black seeded pepper that looks kind of like a hab but bigger with much thicker and juicier.
They release so much juice when fermenting that you may have to dump some brine.
Called the Spanish apple because it has a fruity but also quite hot flavor.
Looks fantastic and I bet tastes even better!
Interesting. I will put some feelers out for a strain of then that is consistently in the hotter end. Have you used them? Wondering how the black seeds impact sauce color. I do not de-seed.

I do not cook or hot bottle my sauce. I do make sure my PH is around 3.5 or less. I use a label template that came with the labels. It’s pretty clunky but I hack through it. I’m looking for something more intuitive. nicebottles Decorative Labels for Hot Sauce Bottles - 120 Blank Hot Sauce Labels, Perfect for 5oz Woozy https://a.co/d/5n8WnLy

I have been selling a little locally to acquaintances. Have to do on the down low as the requirements above board are so comprehensive it would only make sense as a full scale full time business. Not covered under cottage laws in Ohio. I am shipping some this week as well.

Interesting. I will put some feelers out for a strain of then that is consistently in the hotter end. Have you used them? Wondering how the black seeds impact sauce color. I do not de-seed.
I de-seed so can't comment. With the Vitamix it may just look like black pepper!
The scoville is listed at 12,000-30,000 but for me I think it is much hotter.
From your posts I think your heat taste is much higher than mine!
Couple pics of some ferments. Use a variety of odd ball ingredients like ginger, carrots and even dried red peppers.
I can only find them in one store in my area called Saar's but if you checked any Mexican store they may carry them.
Now I need a burn!!!

Attachments

• PXL_20220206_011103227.jpg
    PXL_20220206_011103227.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20220515_184050184.jpg
    PXL_20220515_184050184.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220123_201859939.jpg
    PXL_20220123_201859939.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 4
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky