Keep Carcass

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
Just a reminder to keep smoked turkey carcass to make some great tasting stock for later use.
  • 1   turkey carcass
  • 1 gal. water
  • 2 large  celery ribs sliced
  • 2 large  carrots, scraped and sliced
  • 2 onions, quartered
  • simmer for 3-4 hrs.
  • I'll let u decide what to do with this. 
  • MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!!  

We always make stock with the bones, and neck. Get yourself some dedicated ice trays freeze the stock as ice cubes. When you do this use a measuring cup to pour the stock in the cube trays. Note how many cubes equals a cup. We then vac pac the frozen cubes into 2 cup increments. Works great, we always have stock in the freezer.

Last edited:
Curious, is the stock smoky? If so, is it subtle or pronounced?
It is quite noticeable especially but only if you put any part of the smoke roasted turkey in the stock that still has the skin if you include the skin when making the stock.  Just the carcass, no skin, it is very subtle. 

We rarely eat the drumsticks plus we put the skin in the stock so the smoke flavor is quite pronounced in the stock.  Personally we like it and use the stock for a wider variety of uses where we want to have a smoky flavor including vegetable soups, bean soups, stews, gravies, pot roasts, casseroles, etc.  You can control the degree of smoky flavor by how much stock you use with water or other liquids.   

It is quite noticeable especially but only if you put any part of the smoke roasted turkey in the stock that still has the skin if you include the skin when making the stock.  Just the carcass, no skin, it is very subtle. 

We rarely eat the drumsticks plus we put the skin in the stock so the smoke flavor is quite pronounced in the stock.  Personally we like it and use the stock for a wider variety of uses where we want to have a smoky flavor including vegetable soups, bean soups, stews, gravies, pot roasts, casseroles, etc.  You can control the degree of smoky flavor by how much stock you use with water or other liquids.   
Thank you for your reply!  My sister took the carcass so I was wondering how it would go...  I had a leg today for lunch and it was good!  Very "hammy" as I cured this one...

Smoked carcass will give you a smokey broth/stock.  Great for some things, not so good for others.

Your carcass will probably have enough meat remnants on it that you are making closer to a broth than a true clear stock.

Another trick I use is a baggie in a 16 oz can to freeze approximately 2 cup portions.

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
We don't get too carried away eating every last bit of the meat off of the bones, and purposely so.

Then we can take the carcass and simmer it up.  After it's been simmered, it's easy to pluck the useable meat off of the carcass and cut it up however you want.  Now you've got great smokey broth and a nice batch of good meat.  Add some veggies, rice, you name it, and you've got a nice batch of smoked turkey soup.

A lot of the flavor of the skin and the rub ends up in the broth.  So it's good to think of what you'd want as soup seasoning when you design your rub.  :)

Last edited:
I made some soup about a week ago. My wife didn't want potagee bean soup so I made turkey with barley and lentil soup.

77d9aaf1ab1e2a7da3e7e8d5fcab7529.jpg

25f48d19dc4b3ccfb51ab7964446f759.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky