Kassler Ripchen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gwanger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
N. Illinois
Doesn't ant one make Kassler Ripchen, with a bone in pork loin and sour kraut,or pickled red cabbage.I love you guys but I am surprised. Are there no true Germans here, have looked at all pork posts and did not even see a post for smoked 2" thk. pork chops. Tell me I am wrong.

The DNA test I took says I am . I guess since I don't smoke 2 inch chops I should get my money back .

Last edited:
Reactions: SonnyE
I spent 7 years in Germany and maybe saw 2 restaurants that even served sour kraut. I did see things similar to smoked chops, but most are beef items and schnitzel. My best friend came to visit and he loves kraut. Took us forever to find a place that sold it. mostly had to buy store bought stuff.

Sorry. Just a true polish guy here. Got my own method for sour kraut and fresh and smoked kielbasa. What german and polish lack. Hungarian make up for. They use way more sour cream in their dishes. Lovely sour cream. Yum. I'd do 2" thk pork chops in the smoker. But would wrap in bacon. Pickled red cabbage. Its ok. Up there with beet soup.

Just an American here, and worse yet, I'm a native Californian. :eek:
But my sir name is English, and on my Mom's side ancestors fought in the Alamo in Texas. Still have relatives living around there.
But I like Sauerkraut, Polish Sausage, Corn Beef and Cabbage, and... well, just about everything but Rutabagas and Lima Beans.
But Lima beans are ok if there is more ham than beans.
In my home there was "Required Eating". Didn't matter if it was cremated Liver, we had to eat it. (My Mom was talented. She could burn water.)
My Grandpa on my Dad's side was German though. o_O
I'm pretty sure I'm a Heinz, but not sure if a 57 or some other number. :):confused:

Norwegian, Irish and German here. I like sour kraut but only with knockwurst.

To quote Peter Brady "Pork chops and applesauce".

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
The DNA test I took says I am . I guess since I don't smoke 2 inch chops I should get my money back .
The DNA tests can reveal some surprizing results my Grand fathers family came from Germany b4 war.My last name comes from a town in Germany on fathers side, on grandfathers side, in Germany they were manufacturers of brick ovens for bakers and when here they were still making ovens for baking but were all stainless steel, they made bakery equipment for Sara Lee, Entemans, and other big bakeries they also made resteraunt equipment like fryers,ovens.the funny part is when my two brothers did a DNA search they said we were 30% British but there are no British accents in family but a lot of German accents.So I question the veracity of those DNA tests

Sorry. Just a true polish guy here. Got my own method for sour kraut and fresh and smoked kielbasa. What german and polish lack. Hungarian make up for. They use way more sour cream in their dishes. Lovely sour cream. Yum. I'd do 2" thk pork chops in the smoker. But would wrap in bacon. Pickled red cabbage. Its ok. Up there with beet soup.
Love making smoked Kielbasa, w/lots of garlic.

I spent 7 years in Germany and maybe saw 2 restaurants that even served sour kraut. I did see things similar to smoked chops, but most are beef items and schnitzel. My best friend came to visit and he loves kraut. Took us forever to find a place that sold it. mostly had to buy store bought stuff.
Tell your friend I used to make sour Kraut with granpa,If my memory serves me corectly It is just layers of grated cabbage and Kosher salt in a crock w/wooden lid and a brick on top,skim off top liquid as cabbage start fermenting and starts to give off liquid, collect scum on top of kraut, skim off scum weekly, ferment for 30 days or longer, put in mason jars and store in root cellar.when preparing wash kraut to wash off excess salt and drain liquid, prepare w/sliced apple, garlic, brn. sugar,caraway seed and a beer, simmer 1/2 hr. Enjoy w/smoked pork chops,knockwurst or a good polish sausage.

Last edited:
This might sound a bit strange, but I like to make mashed potatoes with sour cream and mayonnaise, and add a side of sauerkraut. Then eating a spoonful of the potatoes with a bit of sauerkraut is really tasty to me, but then, my mother was native German and she loved all things sour. :D

This might sound a bit strange, but I like to make mashed potatoes with sour cream and mayonnaise, and add a side of sauerkraut. Then eating a spoonful of the potatoes with a bit of sauerkraut is really tasty to me, but then, my mother was native German and she loved all things sour. :D
Very true my grandmother,god bless her, would also cook on sour side, sour mushroom soup, sourbraten, hasenpfeffer,Pickled pigs feet, ginger bread w/ sour creme on top.Memories

Love mashed taters w/kraut

I grew up believing we were German. When my cousins did a bunch of ancestry searching, turns out were Austrian. No clue why my grand parents told us we were German. My son did a semester in Austria last spring and we went for a visit, Dang good food. My grandmother made lots of German, er Austrian food when I was younger. Mmmmmm.....Schmorn!

Have not took the DNA test but I think I am 100% german including the blond hair, blue eyes, and a last name beginning with 4 consonants :) Mom gets Kassler Ripchen whenever we go to Hofbrau which being only an hour away is quite often. KR is not really anything special to me, like a big piece/steak of CB or a good ham. I'd rather have schnitzel (I make a mean one) or sauerbraten instead.

Have not took the DNA test but I think I am 100% german including the blond hair, blue eyes, and a last name beginning with 4 consonants :) Mom gets Kassler Ripchen whenever we go to Hofbrau which being only an hour away is quite often. KR is not really anything special to me, like a big piece/steak of CB or a good ham. I'd rather have schnitzel (I make a mean one) or sauerbraten instead.
Sauerbraten is best with a nice deer roast

My first Pro Chef job was running a fancy new Diner in Lancaster PA. About as may folks of German ancestry as found in Germany. Thursdays special was Pork and Sauerkraut. Porkloin simmered in Sauerkraut until the meat was fork tender. God forbid we sold out before 9PM! So yes I have made a TON of it. The majority of Central PA eats Pork and Sauerkraut on New Years Day for a prosperous year. We would triple or sales of the stuff that day!

Being an American of full blood Polish decent, I grew up on and still make a version of pork and sauerkraut but I Hate Loin in it! My families version is 2 pounds Sauerkraut for every full rack of Spare Ribs. Add a cup of Sliced Onion, a Tablespoon of Minced Garlic a large Bayleaf, a teaspoon Black Pepper, cover with water and simmer a minimum of 3 hours, longer is better, until the meat falls off the bone and the Kraut is tender and lost it's sharp flavor. It mellows to an almost sweetness. We serve it boiled Potato Dumplings made with grated raw potato. Now the best part, the dumplings are covered in rendered pork fat from salted Fatback cut in 1/4" strips and fried until super crisp and golden brown...Now I am hungry...JJ

My first Pro Chef job was running a fancy new Diner in Lancaster PA. About as may folks of German ancestry as found in Germany. Thursdays special was Pork and Sauerkraut. Porkloin simmered in Sauerkraut until the meat was fork tender. God forbid we sold out before 9PM! So yes I have made a TON of it. The majority of Central PA eats Pork and Sauerkraut on New Years Day for a prosperous year. We would triple or sales of the stuff that day!

Being an American of full blood Polish decent, I grew up on and still make a version of pork and sauerkraut but I Hate Loin in it! My families version is 2 pounds Sauerkraut for every full rack of Spare Ribs. Add a cup of Sliced Onion, a Tablespoon of Minced Garlic a large Bayleaf, a teaspoon Black Pepper, cover with water and simmer a minimum of 3 hours, longer is better, until the meat falls off the bone and the Kraut is tender and lost it's sharp flavor. It mellows to an almost sweetness. We serve it boiled Potato Dumplings made with grated raw potato. Now the best part, the dumplings are covered in rendered pork fat from salted Fatback cut in 1/4" strips and fried until super crisp and golden brown...Now I am hungry...JJ
chef JJ - you have me drooling,I also love cooking pork and kraut, I like thicker p. chops browned in bacon fat and then cooked in kraut, Bavarian style w/apple, garlic,brn. sugar and drain kraut and add some beer and caraway seed. Can't wait till wife is working late bc she doesn't like cooked cabbage but will eat raw.

Sauerbraten is best with a nice deer roast

Sounds cool. We use rump and is pretty lean like venison. Totally plan to try SB with using a vac canister marinade and SV.

While I love pork and kraut I prefer not cooking them together. I like the slight crunch of the kraut and it usually turns to mush when cooked for 3 hours with pork. My standard kraut is one can drained and rinsed with one kids applesauce. Just warm it up and do not overcook. Might get a little dash of allspice, clove, marjoram, or cumin but I prefer kraut "less is more". Long overdue to make some myself. Mom still has grandamas crock and slicer. One trick I already picked up is that barley malt (I am a brewer) contains TONS of fresh lactic bacteria and adding a little of barley malt really kicks off the ferment. We do kraut on new years here too in Ohio. Our standard "german" meal is grilled kielbasa ( I know) kraut and potato pancakes. My girls are crazy for them.

JJ the ribs in that dish are they smoked or fresh? Using something smoked like ribs or loin in pork and kraut sound interesting... Gotta ask, what vinegar did you use? I am a big fan of using authentic stuff and already rock 6-8 different. Surig pops up on Amazon.

The ribs are fresh. I use Red Wine Vinegar with red meat. Act with poultry...JJ

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky