Just ordered my AMNPS up!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikedaub

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Super excited.. After about 2 years of smoking and reading, finally pulled the trigger on a new AMNPS and 10 pounds of pellets to use in the MES30.. And now the waiting game begins until I get it and start using.. After a test run or two, first thing to smoke will be some of Bear's Extra Smokey Bacon..

That is all.. just had to tell someone.

Good deal . Glad to see the planned test run . It's a game changer for the mes .

You'll love it!
The wit won't be too long. And you can track it.
(I always watch the progress of my orders)
First thing I did was to fill mine and do a burn in. Ran 11 hours of continuous smoke. That was mostly to break it in prior to smoking food with it.
Probably no necessary, but it made me feel better.

I am sure it will be here soon. Minnesota to New Hampshire is only 4 days shipping.. Just enough time to start planning. :)

I have the cold smoker for the MES, and use it mostly to add smoke time, but it has such a creosote problem, its WAY more of a hassle than its worth. With the AMNPS, I should be able to get it rolling, and not have to worry about it for a while. I will just need to buy some dust for cold smoking cheese, but I have about 20 lbs resting on the shelf, so no rush on that...

That was a selling point for me about the AMNPS, dust or pellets.
I've taken and put about a 1/3 high lay of Hickory pellets, and filled over with Oak dust.
The pellets acted like a fuse to make sure the dust kept going. The salmon was great!

Reactions: mikedaub
That was a selling point for me about the AMNPS, dust or pellets.
I've taken and put about a 1/3 high lay of Hickory pellets, and filled over with Oak dust.
The pellets acted like a fuse to make sure the dust kept going. The salmon was great!

Good thinking.. A little mix of both to keep them lit.. There certainly are some lessons out there I will need to learn.

You'll love it!
The wit won't be too long. And you can track it.
(I always watch the progress of my orders)

Just got my ship notification.. About 10 minutes after order was placed.. Won't be long now! Gotta love great customer service.

Good thinking.. A little mix of both to keep them lit.. There certainly are some lessons out there I will need to learn.

Some of us like mixing things for ourselves. I did grab a bag of mixed wood pellets.
So at the rate I use them, I figure I have ~147 years supply for my AMNPS. Lots of 'fuze'.
It's good to have some in reserve....:rolleyes:

Some of us like mixing things for ourselves. I did grab a bag of mixed wood pellets.
So at the rate I use them, I figure I have ~147 years supply for my AMNPS. Lots of 'fuze'.
It's good to have some in reserve....:rolleyes:

I usually mix different flavors of chips when smoking, just never thought about mixing the types, dust and pellets..

You will love it. It one of the best ascessories you could have bought.
Fill it and forget it. It should take you thru any thing you want to smoke. For me it means no more expensive Bradley pucks
Good luck and enjoy

Reactions: mikedaub and SonnyE
You will love it. It one of the best ascessories you could have bought.
Fill it and forget it. It should take you thru any thing you want to smoke. For me it means no more expensive Bradley pucks
Good luck and enjoy

I like the fill it and walk away approach. Because my MES Cold Smoker attachment has creosote problems, I tended to just use the standard chip feeder, which meant restocking the chips every 45 min to 1 hour.

Agree it's was a game changer when I started cold smoking. I started using dust last summer/fall and haven't had any issues keeping it lit in the WSM. Dust by itself appears to be a cleaner/lighter smoke then pellets so you may have to extend the duration of the smoke using just dust.

Chris

Do you put the AMNPS right in your WSM, or some sort of mod? I know of the mailbox mod, but would prefer to keep everything in one package and just put the AMNPS inside my MES for cold smoking.

I know the dust produces a lower temp then the pellets, but wasn't sure on how it effected things overall.

I put it in my WSM. I remove the charcoal ring, fully open all the vents and place the amnps centered on the charcoal grate. The WSM is a different beast then the MES, but I don't think the mailbox mod is a necessity. Actually I may be wrong on this, but I don't think Bearcarver uses the mailbox mod on his MES.

Chris

I am currently stocked up on all my cold smoking needs (cheese), so I will have some time to do some more research and testing.. I guess if I got started, since its still only 30 degrees in Maine, it would make it much easier than once it gets 60 or 70..

Thanks for the info.

I ordered some dust for cold smoking when I got my AMNPS too but found pellets work perfectly for cold smokes in the winter. Dust might be good for cold smoking in warmer outside temps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky