Just one more Brain F*** smoking this turkey... MONEY SHOT...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
After hanging the ribs the other day, I decided I would hang the turkey... since a 21# bird don't fit too well on the shelves... Well, no shelves created a problem for the giblets... so at 5AM this is what I came up with.... I'm gonna smoke smaller birds from now on.... I do like the idea of hanging the turkey.... I'm gonna have to make some sort of narrow shelf that cantilevers off of the shelf bracket for the giblets ....

Last edited:
Reactions: foamheart
Wouldn't one of those mesh bags work for both the turkey and the giblets? I think they come in different sizes, so a big one for the bird and a small one for the giblets might solve the problem. I think they're called stockinettes?

It sure would if I had one..... that turkey is touching the smoke inlet pipe... I tied it up as far as I could but it sagged a couple inches... I think I need a "turkey funnel" to sit it on, while on a shelf..... like beer butt chicken.... We probably smoke 5-6 turkeys/year.... Bride likes 22 pounders so we get lots of meat per smoke.... I'll say it again, I need a bigger smoker.... I'm thinking of fashioning a 55 gallon drum.... insulated with an electric element.... Bride would frown on that... One more smoker would tip her over.....

If your idea works good, you just solved another one of my problems. My racks held a 16 pound bird last month but like you, I still have a 22 pounder that will need to be smoked before the weather gets too warm.

Dave why don't you just get another dowel rod, and put the regular shelve on top of it.

Turkey is in the oven to cook.... Celery, Onions, Wine in the roasting pan.... More seasonings on the bird.... a half sheet pan is used as an air gap to keep the bottom of the roaster from getting hot and burning the veggies and the stock... Turkey stuff will be added to make a great stock.. bones will be browned and added for flavor....

HOT D@MN !!!!! Home made turkey soup is on the horizon.....

It sure would if I had one..... that turkey is touching the smoke inlet pipe... I tied it up as far as I could but it sagged a couple inches... I think I need a "turkey funnel" to sit it on, while on a shelf..... like beer butt chicken.... We probably smoke 5-6 turkeys/year.... Bride likes 22 pounders so we get lots of meat per smoke.... I'll say it again, I need a bigger smoker.... I'm thinking of fashioning a 55 gallon drum.... insulated with an electric element.... Bride would frown on that... One more smoker would tip her over.....
A Foster's Beer can would work.

Dave I know you have been around here for a really long time & probably know about this already. I have read that the larger the bird the more you have to worry about smoking at low temps.  It is my understanding that meat on larger birds might be in the "danger zone" temp wise for too long.  Is that actually a legitimate concern for large birds?

Dave I know you have been around here for a really long time & probably know about this already. I have read that the larger the bird the more you have to worry about smoking at low temps. It is my understanding that meat on larger birds might be in the "danger zone" temp wise for too long. Is that actually a legitimate concern for large birds?

++++++++++++++++++++

Whole muscle meats, including chickens, turkey, beef roasts, pork roasts etc., the meat is considered sterile inside, as long as you don't poke it, prod it, stick a therm in it, marinate it, stuff garlic in it.....
This was salt brined, which helps to kill the pathogens.... AND it was put in a 275 degree smoker and the smoker was allowed to slowly cool to 140 ish.... surface pathogens were killed... the bird was at 36 degrees when put in the smoker.... that helps to reduce fat out when put in a hot smoker....

You are correct about the 140 temp rule and cold/warm smoking without nitrite.... that rule is mostly intended for ground, comminuted meat products... there are exceptions to every rule in meat processing...

Last edited:
Thanks Dave.  Will put that knowledge to work when I get a bigger one too.  I can do a couple 10-12 lb turkeys at a time & love the flavor.  Do you make soup with the carcase?  The smoke flavor comes out nice for soup & I love to make turkey or chicken salad with bacon mayonnaise.

You bet..... all the veggies in the bottom of the pan add flavor... roasted bones add flavor... UMMM GOOD....

And the bird was cooked to 178 deg. F.....

Last edited:
good to know there's a way to smoke such a big bird. i was looking at turkeys today. the big ones were $.99/lb, but the small ones were $1.50, so i didn't get one.

Looks good Dave, When I first saw the bird, it looked as if you had your string around the neck and then around each wing (more or less like the start of a Truss). Did the turkey sag to the point that you put it in the oven or was that your plan at the start? Like the others, the larger birds are 99 cents per pound right now, if push came to shove, I'd smoke the breast and later do the legs but your way seems to work ok. Thanks Again,

John

Hang em high, smoke em good, eat em fast....................heeeeehaaawwwww
yahoo.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky