Just needed an ABT fix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Making some Shoyu Chicken and figured why waste grate space. Made a few ABT's too!

sevuhajy.jpg

etuny4ys.jpg

pebuzy3e.jpg

u9uhy7y4.jpg

5e7u9e2y.jpg

6e2u4e5y.jpg

je8y3e9y.jpg

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/161921/shoyu-quarters#post_1171957

Smoke away!!!

Those look really good...I love ABTs..and pretty much anything shoyu.  Spent 8 years in Japan and really love Shoyu soba with red pepper flakes and a little pork belly...Got a recipe for the shoyu chicken?

That all looks great Case, gonna have to try that chicken & I'd eat ABT's anytime !! Nice smoke ! Thumbs Up

Something else I need to try.

I can never get my smoke to show up like that.

Those look really good...I love ABTs..and pretty much anything shoyu.  Spent 8 years in Japan and really love Shoyu soba with red pepper flakes and a little pork belly...Got a recipe for the shoyu chicken?

Thanks EarthQuake!

Equal parts water, Shoyu soy sauce, and brown sugar. For this batch I used one cup of each. Then added 5 cloves garlic minced, heavy tablespoon of grated fresh ginger, heavy tablespoon of fresh ground pepper, pineapple and about a 1/4 cup of pineapple juice. You can add heat ( chipotle, paprika, etc.) but I didn't for this batch.

Smoke away!!!

That all looks great Case, gonna have to try that chicken & I'd eat ABT's anytime !! Nice smoke ! Thumbs Up
Something else I need to try.

I can never get my smoke to show up like that.

Thanks guys!

Adam you'll have to come out west to the Dirtsailor school of Mini-WSM TBS!!

Since that is a stretch, here's my method. Load the basket, place your wood chunks on top of the lump, briquettes, etc...

Light with a torch like this. For lower temp smokes I do one side. Since this was chicken I lit both sides. Keep in mind you won't always see the TBS. Some of it depends on the wood. I used pecan and Cherry tonight. I've noticed that combo produces great TBS!

unapuzuh.jpg

Smoke away!!!

Oh I get TBS. It wont show up in my pics thou.

What great qview! You know, I have never tried ABT's. Obviously, I must.

Disco

Thanks Disco! Yes you should try them! If you don't like heat use the mini bell peppers. They work great too! Your Mini-WSM us screaming to smoke some ABT's!

Thanks Disco! Yes you should try them! If you don't like heat use the mini bell peppers. They work great too! Your Mini-WSM us screaming to smoke some ABT's!
Har! I like heat, it doesn't like me. However, I may ignore the warnings of She Who Must Be Obeyed, suffer the consequences and do it anyway!

Disco

You can make them as warm as you want. cull all the seeds and all the membranes out and they almost taste like green peppers almost. I leave some membrane ribs in so I know what I'm eating. As a filler try cream cheese and bleu cheese mixed awesome taste!

Your ABTs are some of the neatest, most well prepared ones I have ever seen.  They look like tasty little cocoons of deliciousness!  Mine look like crap.  I am not very patient.

Your ABTs are some of the neatest, most well prepared ones I have ever seen.  They look like tasty little cocoons of deliciousness!  Mine look like crap.  I am not very patient.
Thanks Scooter!

Believe me I've had my share of failures, blow outs and Oh crap I just dropped the whole plate on the ground moments!

Looks Great . I have only made ABT's one time and mine were a little greasy my bacon was done and peppers turned out good. I was wondering should I have let the bacon almost get crispy?

Looks Great . I have only made ABT's one time and mine were a little greasy my bacon was done and peppers turned out good. I was wondering should I have let the bacon almost get crispy?
I always crisp the bacon. I also use the thinnest bacon I can find. Then I take the bacon and stretch it out a bit to make it even thinner. Helps get it nice and crisp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky