just an observation and need some advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

preacherman1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
SIKESTON MO
I have been smoking brisket and butts every weekend  for nearly last three months using a temp for the meat only.  Yesterday i got my maverick et 732 seems to be a handy thing to have.  all this time  I have not made use of a grate themometer and using this for the first time i am now seeing that my grate temperatures are all over the place, no consistency.  I started a boston butt at 5 a m  this morning and saw that my grate temps have been from 358 down to 160 within a couple of hours.  My question is this a bad thing???? I have fixed meat for my church and for individuals and they seem to enjoy it.  I have a little kettle grill my in-laws gave us about 19 years ago and am happy with the way it cooks and the meat it produces.  Please give me any feed back you may have. Thanks   one other question i have:  Do you think it is time for me to get a new girll and if so please pray that my wife understands. LOL.

Last edited:
You know if you are happy with the results then I'm fine with what you are doing.  It is unusual to have that kind of temperature variation and maybe if you can get it under control you'll have a final product a lot better then you expected.

We offer what we consider the best way to do low and slow.  A lot of members get on the forum and will share how they do things differently, it's all good.  We learn from each other.

Don't ask the forum if you should buy a new smoker, that's kind of like asking a child if they would like another cookie!

Maybe you can spend some time trying to keep your temperatures in the 225 - 250 range and see how your food turns out.  You may find that it's worth the additional trouble.

Most electrics smokers are very temperature stable and not that expensive.  If you do not have the funds for a larger wood burner the electrics may be a good option for you.

Let us know how it works out for you

Preacherman, morning....  "Ignorance is bliss" someone once said..... So, for 19 years you have been cooking all kinds of food and were happy...  for the last while you have cooked 12 + briskets and  butts and were happy.... Food was good and everyone liked it.....  

Now that you have a Mav 732, you think you have problems.....   Use the 732 for Internal Meat Temps and do not check the smoker temp... evidently everything was fine before you knew the smoker temps........

On second thought..... I think a Lang 36" would look nice in the back yard.... Go for it....   Just kidding.....  Dave

lang36_patio_finihsed_web.jpg

To Alblancher

thanks Al

that is just what i was thinking.  I won't ask  anyone on the forum whether i should get another grill you are right about that. But I will never stop asking that you all PRAY and ask the Good Lord to soften my wife's heart b/c if I do get a new one It will be an act of God

New is great, but there's always some 'tweaking' to be done on any smoker. Have fun trying different things, but since the result has been good so far don't do anything drastic that you cant undo. The main goal is to cook good food and have fun! (My advice is free and worth every penny).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky