Juicy chops

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

robs ribs

Original poster
Jan 18, 2015
Indiana
I was given a dozen or so 1 inch bone in pork chops and plan on smokin them on my primo XL this weekend and want to keep em nice and juicy...... Any suggestions

Brine them...The salt in brine causes the meat protein to both absorb and hold more moisture and has a tenderizing effect. I pull chops and loin roasts at 140°F because we like a little pink in the pork and they come out very juicy...JJ

Apple Pork Brine

2-12oz.Cans Apple Juice Concentrate

1C Apple Cider Vinegar

1/4C Molasses

1/4C Mustard

1/2C Kosher Salt

2T Pickling Spice (optional)

1T Sage, rubbed

1Gal Water

Combine all and Brine the meat at least over night, 24-48 hours would be better.

Tried chef jimmy j's brine got some good smoke on them and the taste was great . They were just a little to dry for my taste but others said they were great ( I let em go a little to long ) I'll know better next time
Robs ribs [emoji]128515[/emoji]

Man that looks good, beautiful color

Gary

They look great. Chops can be good eats but modern Pork has sooo much of their fat bred out that a couple of degree too high and it's dry. After 40+ years farmers are starting to abandon " The Other White Meat " program and raising hogs the way they were in the days when folks didn't freak out over a 1-2 Inch fat cap on a hunk of pork. Too bad those Piggies are currently more expensive than Prime Beef...
th_crybaby2.gif
...JJ

I agree with Chef JJ   I learned a long time ago not to over cook my chops, they get done pretty quick, Most people have the tendency to keep on cooking them.

Gary

Yep that's exactly what I did, I thought they weren't quite done and next thing I knew they were about 165 ( thermapen , great tool, love it). Thanks for all the helpful input

Tried chef jimmy j's brine got some good smoke on them and the taste was great . They were just a little to dry for my taste but others said they were great ( I let em go a little to long ) I'll know better next time
Robs ribs [emoji]128515[/emoji]
As has been said, the color is AWESOME!  Funny thing about pork chops, they go from juicy, great, perfect to dry and just ok in les than 5 degrees, and to shoe leather in less than 10!

As I tell my wife,  "You can't un-cook it" so shoot for a LITTLE below your mark, wrap in foil and let it rest out! This is where I love my Maverick. I always pick the biggest and the smallest chops and probe them...and LEAVE the probe in while they "rest"

Last edited:

I don't know if it would work with bone-in, but I like to brine and stuff the thick, boneless chops.  Stuffing is 50% sausage and 50% bread stuffing.

Wow, those DO look tasty!

Actually, stuffing bone-in pork chops works well, you can cut almost to the pone, making a pocket in them, and stuffing accordingly. I like an apple butter or diced apples spiced with cinnamon and brown sugar and bread crumbs...or stuff with a garlic shrimp scampi or etoufee, or crawfish etoufee or "dirty rice" and use a blackened seasoning on the chops, or just good old Don's or Tony Chachere's creole seasoning.

Last edited:
Reactions: sloopyhangon

They are amazing.  I've never seen them anywhere else so I'm holding them as my creation until proven otherwise.  LOL! 
LOL...They are beautiful! I don't know how old you are my friend but I have been eating Stuffed Pork Chops for 50 years, I was in Diapers when Kennedy was shot, and making them for 35. I KNOW my Mom didn't invent them as she at 87, still thinks an IT of 165°F is RARE, has boxes of Cookbooks and what has to be the largest collection of Recipes torn out of Magazines and removed from Soup cans in NJ. Mom made some great stuff but Fresh Pork was not one of them...JJ

This goes back to 1959...http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/07/magazine/07food.t.html?_r=0

They look great. Chops can be good eats but modern Pork has sooo much of their fat bred out that a couple of degree too high and it's dry. After 40+ years farmers are starting to abandon " The Other White Meat " program and raising hogs the way they were in the days when folks didn't freak out over a 1-2 Inch fat cap on a hunk of pork. Too bad those Piggies are currently more expensive than Prime Beef...
th_crybaby2.gif
...JJ

Yup, heritage pork is very expensive now! This is some kurobuta pork chops...

d0ac12d0a350516ee847b0929eebdba3.jpg

I figure if it's good enough for the emperor of Japan and the King of England it's good enough for me... [emoji]128022[/emoji]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man those look good be waiting to see the finished product

Gary

LOL...They are beautiful! I don't know how old you are my friend but I have been eating Stuffed Pork Chops for 50 years, I was in Diapers when Kennedy was shot, and making them for 35. I KNOW my Mom didn't invent them as she at 87, still thinks an IT of 165°F is RARE, has boxes of Cookbooks and what has to be the largest collection of Recipes torn out of Magazines and removed from Soup cans in NJ. Mom made some great stuff but Fresh Pork was not one of them...JJ

This goes back to 1959...http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/07/magazine/07food.t.html?_r=0
Yes, Jimmy, I've eaten stuffed pork chops for years as well as smoked.  But has stuffed and smoked been done together? 

Yes, Jimmy, I've eaten stuffed pork chops for years as well as smoked.  But has stuffed and smoked been done together? 
Stuffed and Smoked that I can't tell you. It's Official then, It's all your's. Tell the Patent guys to call me, I'll swear to it. Hey the guy that took one of the two bones out of a Ham Hock and called them Pig Wings is making a freakin' fortune with exclusive rights to the name...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky