Johnsonville hot Italian sausage

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by pussiwillow, Feb 5, 2012.

1. pussiwillow

pussiwillow Newbie

I'm too much of a noob to make my own sausage, Johnsonville is my option right now, what temp do you smoke them at? This Is my first time, and have no idea, I did a quick search and didn't find I was looking for, I'm gonna smoke with apple wood

2. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Pretty much any temp will work you just have to pull them out  sooner. If I had to choose I would smoke them around 225ish.

3. pussiwillow

pussiwillow Newbie

Oh ok cool, I just didn't want to dry them out is all, what internal temp should I look for? 165? And approx how long do they cook for so I don't overload my amnps

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yes 165 & they should take a couple of hours to get there.

5. pussiwillow

pussiwillow Newbie

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to this!

6. teeznuts

teeznuts Master of the Pit

Are they already cooked? I buy the Johnsonville Brats and Cheddar sausages that are pre-cooked and cold smoke em a couple hours with my AMNPS since nitrite is listed in the ingredients. Just an idea. It adds an awesome smokey taste and then when I want one I just microwave it 45 seconds.

7. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Hey Teez, Both are available Fresh (raw) and Pre-cooked...I have to say, I have had both and the Raw one, although Fattier, are more Tasty...JJ

8. teeznuts

teeznuts Master of the Pit

Good call JJ. Ill try raw next time. I bet they take on smoke very nicely.

9.  I'm not into doing sausage yet either. We really like the Johnsonville andouilles and hot links that are already cooked. While smoking other items I like to toss a package or two of these on the rack for about an hour of smoke at around 225 and it gives them an awesome boost in flavor. I often put some back in their original zip-locked package and pop them in the freezer. I can thaw and heat them in very short order for a quick snack or meal.

Chuck