Question about sausage seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So another question is what to do with the fat? Pre-grind and package in small packs and feeze? Just package in smaller packs until freeze and freeze?
Doesn’t really matter, but what does matter is to not store fat to long in the freezer, it will start to rancid much faster than meat in the freezer. Buy that good hard fat to use soon after purchase. Either make sausage with it or grind and mix with ground lean meat then freeze. The fat keeps much better once processed with salt, spices and meat than it does by itself flavor wise.

Doesn’t really matter, but what does matter is to not store fat to long in the freezer, it will start to rancid much faster than meat in the freezer.
Does the same hold true if it came vacuum sealed?
I ... May have used some really old fat recently that perhaps I shouldn't have.

Does the same hold true if it came vacuum sealed?
I ... May have used some really old fat recently that perhaps I shouldn't have.
The tell is the final flavor. If it tastes good roll with it. Rancidity in fat is more about a pronounced flavor change, it’s not rotten or sour. Fat will pick up an “old” taste much faster than meat will. It’s just not a good practice to long term store fat. Get it and use it up. A freezer find of old fat is not always a good thing.

The tell is the final flavor. If it tastes good roll with it. Rancidity in fat is more about a pronounced flavor change, it’s not rotten or sour.
Similar to olive oil I assume?

Too late now I guess it's in the sausage already but the final product tastes fine 🤣. Had a pack from about 3 years ago that I completely forgot a out so decided to use it up.

Good to know, thanks for the info. I had no idea figured in the freezer it would be indefinite. Won't be keeping much on hand anymore.

Similar to olive oil I assume?

Too late now I guess it's in the sausage already but the final product tastes fine 🤣. Had a pack from about 3 years ago that I completely forgot a out so decided to use it up.

Good to know, thanks for the info. I had no idea figured in the freezer it would be indefinite. Won't be keeping much on hand anymore.
Meat contains about 75% moisture, where fat only contains about 10% or less moisture. The increased moisture is what helps in freezing, the lack of the moisture in fat is the problem.

If you do whole or half animals in processing and don’t eat it fast enough you start to taste a change at about 3 months, it’s the fat. By 6 months my wife won’t eat it. I notice it but was raised that way so I don’t mind it, it’s not horrible, but it’s a change.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
Doesn’t really matter, but what does matter is to not store fat to long in the freezer, it will start to rancid much faster than meat in the freezer. Buy that good hard fat to use soon after purchase. Either make sausage with it or grind and mix with ground lean meat then freeze. The fat keeps much better once processed with salt, spices and meat than it does by itself flavor wise.
I have another whole butt in the fridge, about 11 lbs., so I can grind that and some fat with it. Thanks for the advice, Eric...

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I have another whole butt in the fridge, about 11 lbs., so I can grind that and some fat with it. Thanks for the advice, Eric...
Yes. Butts usually yield about 80/20 meat to fat, but I like sausage closer to 70/30 for flavor, so grinding some of that with the butt is a good idea.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky