Question about sausage seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Finally got a set of scales that I can trust so today the plan is to thaw out 2 packages of the ground pork and season them up. I'm going to do 1000g of this, hot...

And I've got some fresh sage, so a 1000g of this, too...
I’ll give you a simple recipe that we really enjoy. Sausage recipes with a lot of ingredients taste just like that, busy. Remember most all ingredients in sausage is subjective to personal taste and dialing it in for you is important. Here is what I do, but you may need to adjust some things up or down.

1 Kg course ground pork 80/20 or 70/30.
1.5% salt
1-3g fresh sage finely minced(2-5g rubbed sage)
.5-1.0g mace
.5-1.0g white pepper
.5-1.0g course black pepper.

This is a Cumberland style breakfast sausage (English)
For hot add 3-5g of cayenne or my favorite arbol Chile.

As for the scales, I got this set posted by BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker and the same 30% off...
Got it on slamazon, I can get the link. I got it when they had a 30% off coupon.

This is the one I got.

Reactions: jdranchman
Nice! I did my first batch of cumberland last night. Gonna stuff it after work today.

See what he did there... he just enabled another rabbit hole for you... what type of bread you making first lol?

Ryan
That's my wife's thing. She's been plugging away at sour dough and a couple of others, but she's not ready to declare victory yet...😄

Reactions: Brokenhandle
That's my wife's thing. She's been plugging away at sour dough and a couple of others, but she's not ready to declare victory yet
Have her make a batch of these . I'm on my 3rd one . They are fantastic and come out great . Formula is in post 5 I think .

So it's been a long day of sausage making interspersed with picking up the slicer and getting it ready for action. Anyway, I made 3 different recipes of breakfast sausage today...

First up...

Then it was this from SmokinEdge SmokinEdge ...
I’ll give you a simple recipe that we really enjoy. Sausage recipes with a lot of ingredients taste just like that, busy. Remember most all ingredients in sausage is subjective to personal taste and dialing it in for you is important. Here is what I do, but you may need to adjust some things up or down.

1 Kg course ground pork 80/20 or 70/30.
1.5% salt
1-3g fresh sage finely minced(2-5g rubbed sage)
.5-1.0g mace
.5-1.0g white pepper
.5-1.0g course black pepper.

This is a Cumberland style breakfast sausage (English)
For hot add 3-5g of cayenne or my favorite arbol Chile.

And lastly was DougE DougE 's...
I've been playing with this recipe awhile to get it just right and everyone who I give sausage to seem to like this one best (I do too and I've made a bunch of different ones).

Per 1000g(kg.) of meat:

15g Salt ( doesn't matter coarse or fine, long as it is non-iodized)
3.0g Black pepper
1.0g white pepper
1.25g marjoram
0.75g cayenne
0.5g nutmeg
1.75g rubbed sage ...... use the rubbed rather than ground if you want it to be the same.

All made exactly to recipes and after the test fries of each, my wife and I liked them all...

Now come the tweaking. Or just leave them be. I’m glad you liked them all.
Tweaking is our nature. I've made 4 variation of the Jimmy Dean clone. Finally settled on a recipe my wife prefers. Next round I will regrind to the smallest plate for a texture change.
I'm looking at it as a labor of love. We love the results and the satisfaction of doing it myself...
My wife is the happiest because she likes the 1/2% salt recipes (well so do I) to keep the high blood pressure in check. If there is any trigger for Sheila it is a benefit to omit it from the home made recipes.

I'm on a mission for my daughter to recreate a sausage served at Disney. Ronto wrap served at Hollywood Studios. A pork sausage in a 20 mm sheep casing. Wife says (Wisconsin) bratwurst but I think it is different. I'm thinking a sausage along the lines of Eric's SmokinEdge SmokinEdge Cumberland or Doug's DougE DougE breakfast without the sage.

Tweaking is our nature. I've made 4 variation of the Jimmy Dean clone. Finally settled on a recipe my wife prefers. Next round I will regrind to the smallest plate for a texture change.

My wife is the happiest because she likes the 1/2% salt recipes (well so do I) to keep the high blood pressure in check. If there is any trigger for Sheila it is a benefit to omit it from the home made recipes.

I'm on a mission for my daughter to recreate a sausage served at Disney. Ronto wrap served at Hollywood Studios. A pork sausage in a 20 mm sheep casing. Wife says (Wisconsin) bratwurst but I think it is different. I'm thinking a sausage along the lines of Eric's SmokinEdge SmokinEdge Cumberland or Doug's DougE DougE breakfast without the sage.
DougE DougE breakfast sausage is based , I think, on a Nuremberg style recipe. My Cumberland sausage is English in base, the Disney sausage is probably neither, but if I had to guess it likely based off the Nuremberg style. I’ve never eaten the Disney, but if I had, I don’t think it would be to difficult to get close. I’d start with the Nuremberg guessing.

Reactions: DougE
A good friend of mine is the manager of a small local meat market and I asked him about saving me some pork fat for sausage. He sent me a text today to come by and this is what he gave me...
20240112_154311[1].jpg

Two 3 lb. bags of fat trimmed from the pork chops he had cut. This stuff is so hard to find around me and the best part was FREE...

Nice score. Stay in with that friend. My local shop sells pork trim for 1.29 a pound and it’s fresh so I don’t complain.

So another question is what to do with the fat? Pre-grind and package in small packs and feeze? Just package in smaller packs until freeze and freeze?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky