JJ's Finishing Sauce...Awesome!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Chef Jimmy- I whipped up this sauce as explained in your initial post. Is it supposed to be watery? I thought maybe the brown sugar would have thickened it up. I figured I'd try some with some smoked spares. My sauce taste very very like straight vinegar. Not sure how I can incorporate this sauce with my ribs. I hear every one mention it but I'm wondering if it just meant to be poured and mixed in with pulled pork? I ask because it seems lots here use it for other stuff. Where am I going wrong?
Yes, finishing sauce is thin or "watery".   It's not meant to be the same as a thick tomato or mustard based sauce.  Basically, it makes the pulled pork juicier while adding some complexity to the flavor profile. 

Chef Jimmy- I whipped up this sauce as explained in your initial post. Is it supposed to be watery? I thought maybe the brown sugar would have thickened it up. I figured I'd try some with some smoked spares. My sauce taste very very like straight vinegar. Not sure how I can incorporate this sauce with my ribs. I hear every one mention it but I'm wondering if it just meant to be poured and mixed in with pulled pork? I ask because it seems lots here use it for other stuff. Where am I going wrong?
Sorry to be finding this late. Feel free to PM questions directly. Anyhow, Finishing Sauce is typically for Pulled Meats and are thin to add flavor and moisture leaving room for other sauces or toppings as desired. Now where some confusion arises with my most popular recipes is, This is a Vinegary N. Carolina Style but I also have a Rib Foiling Juice that is Sweet and doubles as a Sweet Finishing Sauce for people not into the Vinegar. The Foiling Juice...http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110881/foiling-juice-chef-jimmyj  does get reduced down to a Thick Glaze to coat the Ribs and will be more toward what you are looking for.
Wife and I found it to be sour so we added a little brown sugar to what is called for
Jackal, Make it your own Bro! Add anything that you like, especially Sugar, Honey or any Spices you and the Mrs. enjoy. I designed that one to cover the taste of a lot of our Southern members. I personally like the Sour pinch but offset it and add another Layer of Flavor with a top up of Sweet KC style BBQ Sauce on my Plate or Sandwich. If you like stuff on the sweeter side try using the Foiling Juice above as a Sweet Finishing Sauce. It is great as well and my families favorite but I like to add some Vinegary Hot Sauce, Hotter Texas Pete, on my plate, again to balance and add another layer of flavor...JJ

I tried this for the first time on a pulled Boston butt, since I'm new to these forums and I love my vinegar based Carolina sauces and I got rave reviews, much better then my old finishing sauce, I will stick with this! Got me a few more catering clients! Thanks JJ!!

Do u heat this sauce at all
You don't need to since there is nothing raw in it. It does need to rest awhile for the flavors to combine. You can heat it if you wish but don't let it boil or the Vinegar fumes will get your family and your Sinuses upset...JJ

JJ, all I can say is thank you for sharing this recipe with everyone! I tried it this past weekend on some pulled pork that I made and I can't believe how awesome it tastes! It was a hit with everyone that came over to eat. I will definitely be trying your au jus and foiling sauce recipes soon!

JJ, 

This thread deserves a bump.  I just had to try this recipe it was the hit of the gathering.  I smoked 3 butts over the past few days for a

Friday night gathering of 25 college kids.  I made a full batch of this great sauce and added about one third to the pulled pork

zip-lock bag.  I made a 2nd batch for the condiment table.  It was a definite home run.  I'll be putting it in my recipe book.  

Thank you for sharing!  I will be trying your other recipes in the future.

RG 

I made this for the butt I smoked a few days ago and wow I love it. Keeper for sure. Thanks Chef! Now I have to get that foiling sauce recipe put in my recipe journal.

Last edited:
Tried this recipe this afternoon, and all I can say is wow!!! Im gonna use this to reheat my pork on Thanksgiving. Terrific tangy taste. Only thing I did different was add a little crushed red pepper.

Also tried a new Bourbon Bacon Bbq sauce tonight of my own creation and JJs finishing sauce complemented it very well.

I have not read this thread in awhile and would like to thank everyone for the kind words. I am glad that this sauce is a hit. I enjoy this one as well. I apologize to any of you that asked a question and I didn't respond. I had not received notification of a new post.

@tjs231...This recipe makes 2 1/4 Cups of sauce. I add 1 Cup of this to any pan or foil drippings which give enough for the meat from an average 8-9 Lb Butt. The remaining Cup I put in a squeeze bottle and serve on the side for folks that want an extra punch of Vinegar. So for 40 Lb of pork, make 4-5 times the recipe. This stuff gets better as it sits and there is nothing in there to go bad so it keeps in the refer indefinitely...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky