Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Picked up 10 pounds of beef rouladen on sale at the commissary yesterday.

Meat is between 3/8" and 7/16" inches.

In the marinade since last night.

Used 2 packets of "Pacific Mountain Farms Jerky Marinade and Cure" from local grocery store.

Will smoke with hickory, no heat, then put in MES until it hits 145.

Will post pics.

I tried smoking some jerky in my MES30c and it came out horrible.

I smoked it at 130F, but I think the jerky COOKED.

also, it stayed so wet, and with the heavy smoke from the pellets, it was rank with creosote.

I'm going to have to do some real tweeking.

Please let us know how it turned out, and how you smoked it.

Reactions: busmania
I tried smoking some jerky in my MES30c and it came out horrible.

I smoked it at 130F, but I think the jerky COOKED.

also, it stayed so wet, and with the heavy smoke from the pellets, it was rank with creosote.

I'm going to have to do some real tweeking.

Please let us know how it turned out, and how you smoked it.

What I have done was to smoke my jerky meat for 1-2 hours, then put it in my dehydrator to finish it.
Nice smoky flavor, dried to desired level.

I've done that with ground, as well as whole muscle meat.
Though I've come to the conclusion I prefer whole meat over ground meat.

I'll smoke it with my pellet tray in my large smoker, no heat, then finish in MES.

Picked up 10 pounds of beef rouladen on sale at the commissary yesterday.

Meat is between 3/8" and 7/16" inches.

In the marinade since last night.

Used 2 packets of "Pacific Mountain Farms Jerky Marinade and Cure" from local grocery store.

Will smoke with hickory, no heat, then put in MES until it hits 145.

Will post pics.

Rouladen? You must be stationed in Germany. My wife, who I met in Germany, makes killer Rouladen. You are going to cold smoke first. Then finish in your smoker? I would let it get to 160 at the very end to be safe.

do you COLD smoke it?? or add some heat?

Minimal heat. The heat is just to create the draft in the smoker (my method anyway). Because I use a "Mailbox Method")
Let the smoke, um, smoke your jerky meat. Then the dehydrator dries it.
But the idea is to give the meat some smoke, then jerk it. Two steps.

If you want to do the whole process in your smoker, smoke it for a couple of hours, then remove the smoke source (AMNPS, Tray, Tube, or what have you.)
Crank the smokers heat up (I'd suggest 180-200°) until dryed to your liking.
Using your smoker as an oven to dehydrate the meat. But have maximum air venting through to take the moisture out.

For ground meat, I make a big patty out of it, about 1/2" thick, in a glass baking dish.
After smoking, the meat gets mixed again, formed, and dried.
Strip meat gets laid out, smoked, soaked (marinaded), and dried.
In either case, I run the temperature to >165°. (My Presto Dehydrator runs to 173° on my TP-08)

My Daughter had a vacuum marinader I got to use to make Teriyaki jerky for them with. We got London Broil on sale and bought 4. She gave me one of her slicers :), so I got to use that to slice the LB with. (Cross grain)
She offered to give me one of her two marinade vessels. But I declined and have a 1/2 gallon Mason jar I can use with my own vacuum machine.
But Vacuum marinading is really sweet! A couple of hours is plenty.
Then I used her Presto dehydrator to make the jerky.
Musta done alright. It disappeared as fast as I could make it. :confused:

Reactions: nanuk
Rouladen? You must be stationed in Germany. My wife, who I met in Germany, makes killer Rouladen. You are going to cold smoke first. Then finish in your smoker? I would let it get to 160 at the very end to be safe.
Stationed there long ago.

Most commissaries stateside carry it.

I use the large smoker with the smoke tray because it has a greater volume, more room to circulate smoke and air.

use the MES to bring it up to a safe temp.

have used indoor oven before, but minimum temp is 170, higher than I need.

Stationed there long ago.

Most commissaries stateside carry it.

I use the large smoker with the smoke tray because it has a greater volume, more room to circulate smoke and air.

use the MES to bring it up to a safe temp.

have used indoor oven before, but minimum temp is 170, higher than I need.

I didn't know that. Yeah, I know, my neighbor has a big fancy oven that can go as low as 150. 170 is a tad high. But for jerky not a huge deal I guess. When were you over seas? I was there in the 80's

I didn't know that. Yeah, I know, my neighbor has a big fancy oven that can go as low as 150. 170 is a tad high. But for jerky not a huge deal I guess. When were you over seas? I was there in the 80's
Me too.

Cold War dinosaur.

Reactions: Steve H
Minimal heat. The heat is just to create the draft in the smoker (my method anyway). Because I use a "Mailbox Method")
Let the smoke, um, smoke your jerky meat. Then the dehydrator dries it.
But the idea is to give the meat some smoke, then jerk it. Two steps.
Crank the smokers heat up (I'd suggest 180-200°) until dryed to your liking.
Using your smoker as an oven to dehydrate the meat. But have maximum air venting through to take the moisture out.
In either case, I run the temperature to >165°. (My Presto Dehydrator runs to 173° on my TP-08)
My Daughter had a vacuum marinader I got to use to make Teriyaki jerky for them with. We got London Broil on sale and bought 4. She gave me one of her slicers :), so I got to use that to slice the LB with. (Cross grain)
She offered to give me one of her two marinade vessels. But I declined and have a 1/2 gallon Mason jar I can use with my own vacuum machine.
But Vacuum marinading is really sweet! A couple of hours is plenty.
Then I used her Presto dehydrator to make the jerky.
Musta done alright. It disappeared as fast as I could make it. :confused:

I let my jerky sit in a freezer bag for 48 hours + then onto the dehydrator.
I left out the likwid smoke, as I wanted to taste the difference between Dehy, and Smoker jerky.
the smoker jerky was inedible due creosote. (I guess it was not dry enough for smoke)
I had to toss it! Shame to waste meat!
but the DeHy stuff was amazing! I had a store manager ask if I was interested in marketing it through their meat department! (that says a LOT to me!)

I would like to try drying some on the DeHy til dry to the touch, THEN put into smoker and give it an hour or two.

We'll see....

Reactions: SonnyE
I do jerky in my MES. I smoke for a few hours at 150-160. Since the jerky is thin, it gets into the safe zone really fast.

I then finish in my kitchen convection oven at its lowest setting of 140. This usually takes another six hours.

I guess a dehydrator can use a lower temperature, but I've found that 140 works really well and is, of course, within the safe zone. I get great results and have never once worried about food safety.

I let my jerky sit in a freezer bag for 48 hours + then onto the dehydrator.
I left out the likwid smoke, as I wanted to taste the difference between Dehy, and Smoker jerky.
the smoker jerky was inedible due creosote. (I guess it was not dry enough for smoke)
I had to toss it! Shame to waste meat!
but the DeHy stuff was amazing! I had a store manager ask if I was interested in marketing it through their meat department! (that says a LOT to me!)

I would like to try drying some on the DeHy til dry to the touch, THEN put into smoker and give it an hour or two.

We'll see....

You could try it.
If the Manager is that interested in locally produced jerky.

I like to develop processes. But once done, it can take out the fun of doing it.
Pretty soon the garage is a jerky factory. Then it becomes more like a job, than an artisans work.
Craft Jerky, and Craft Beers.
Nanuk's Hand Crafted Snacks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky