Jambalaya of the North!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
It was minus 20 C.

We had 14 inches of snow.

I had recently made andouille and I desperately needed comfort food to warm me up. It was time for Jambalaya.

I don't know how people from the warm climes of Louisiana made a perfect winter warm up but they did!

I started by peeling 225 grams (1/2 pound) of shrimp.

I sauteed the shells in oil for a few minutes.

I added 500 ml (2 cups) of chicken stock and simmered the shells for 10 minutes.

I strained the shells out and added enough water to bring the amount of liquid back to 500 ml (2 cups)

I diced 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs.

I chopped 125 ml (1/2 cup) celery, 175 ml (3/4 cup) each of onion and green pepper and 2 cloves garlic.

I slice 225 grams (1/2 pound) andouille. I have made this with Ukranian sausage in a pinch but it isn't nearly as tasty as andouille.

I sauteed the vegetables in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes until soft.

I added the chicken and andouille and sauteed for about 4 to 5 minutes to get a nice golden fond on the pot bottom.

I added the chicken stock and stirred to get all the fond off the bottom of the pot.

I added 250 ml (1 cup) stewed tomatoes, 175 ml (3/4 cup) rice, 15 ml (1 tablespoon) creole spice, 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) dried thyme and 1/2 ml (1/8 tsp) cayenne.

I brought it to a boil and reduced the heat to simmer. I covered and simmered for 30 to 35 minutes covered. Stir every 4 to 5 minutes as the rice will want to stick.

When the rice is cooked, toss in the shrimp and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, just until the shrimp is pink and opaque.

The finished product.

If you have no life, here is a video I made of the cook:

The Verdict

The rice is creamy, the shrimp are firm, the andouille gives a touch of smoke flavour and the spices warm you through. Perfect for a winter day!

Disco

Last edited:
Man, made my tummy rumbly. 
Looks-Great.gif
  Points!

It was minus 20 C.

We had 14 inches of snow.

I had recently made andouille and I desperately needed comfort food to warm me up. It was time for Jambalaya.

I don't know how people from the warm climes of Louisiana made a perfect winter warm up but they did!

I started by peeling 225 grams (1/2 pound) of shrimp.

I sauteed the shells in oil for a few minutes.

I added 500 ml (2 cups) of chicken stock and simmered the shells for 10 minutes.

I strained the shells out and added enough water to bring the amount of liquid back to 500 ml (2 cups)

I diced 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs.

I chopped 125 ml (1/2 cup) celery, 175 ml (3/4 cup) each of onion and green pepper and 2 cloves garlic.

I slice 225 grams (1/2 pound) andouille. I have made this with Ukranian sausage in a pinch but it isn't nearly as tasty as andouille.

I sauteed the vegetables in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes until soft.

I added the chicken and andouille and sauteed for about 4 to 5 minutes to get a nice golden fond on the pot bottom.

I added the chicken stock and stirred to get all the fond off the bottom of the pot.

I added 250 ml (1 cup) stewed tomatoes, 175 ml (3/4 cup) rice, 15 ml (1 tablespoon) creole spice, 2 ml (1/2 teaspoon) dried thyme and 1/2 ml (1/8 tsp) cayenne.

I brought it to a boil and reduced the heat to simmer. I covered and simmered for 30 to 35 minutes covered. Stir every 4 to 5 minutes as the rice will want to stick.

When the rice is cooked, toss in the shrimp and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, just until the shrimp is pink and opaque.

The finished product.

If you have no life, here is a video I made of the cook:

The Verdict

The rice is creamy, the shrimp are firm, the andouille gives a touch of smoke flavour and the spices warm you through. Perfect for a winter day!

Disco
yum! I'll bring the beer next time for a bowl of that! Points sir!

Nice cook disco, beautifully 'splained. Winter is here to stay I see a lot of jambalaya and other comfort foods in your (and my) future.

Nice job Disco!

Great winter meal, but we eat it in the summer down here too.

Yours looks delicious!

Point worthy for sure!

Al

Wow great looking and recipe, One of my all time favorite comfort foods as well. I think I will try your recipe as well. I know the feeling of the cols and snow as well being in Alberta. I'm definitely hungry now...

Looks and sounds awesome disco! Nice video! Thank you! Our temps here in Wisconsin have been -25 with the wc and got 9 inches of snow. I love your cutting board! Built-in the counter!

Reactions: ab canuck
In the far of north land I hear the cry of a cold cold man calling on his far off southern friends for a warm me up meal. What a great post and video of what now looks so easy to make meal. Thanks for the post Dave

points1.png
For the post Dave

Warren

Wow Disco! Another great thread with great pictures!  I have some andouille seasoning calling my name in my pantry..I'll have to make a new batch and try this recipe!  Points!!

Very nice job indeed!

Sauteing the shells and then simmering them for a long time in the chicken stock really makes for a nice broth!

Points to the Disco Dude up north!

Thanks, Adam!
Jambalaya and a cold day--what a perfect combination. Now that's comfort food.

Ive been looking for a good jambalaya recipe and I'd say I just found it.

Thanks Disco

POINTS for sure on this one.

Gary
It is nice on a cold day! Thanks, Gary!
Nice cook disco, beautifully 'splained. Winter is here to stay I see a lot of jambalaya and other comfort foods in your (and my) future.
Thanks. Your words are sadly true!

What a great thread & video ! Jambalaya looks outstanding !
drool.gif
Thanks, Justin. I appreciate that!

Nice job Disco!

Great winter meal, but we eat it in the summer down here too.

Yours looks delicious!

Point worthy for sure!

Al
Yes, you do eat it in the summer but you are an American and are tougher than us Canadians when it comes to spicy! Thanks for the point, Al.

Wow great looking and recipe, One of my all time favorite comfort foods as well. I think I will try your recipe as well. I know the feeling of the cols and snow as well being in Alberta. I'm definitely hungry now...
Har! We are practically neigbours! Thanks for the kind words.

Looks great Disco! It definitely would hit the spot on a cold snowy day!

Point!
Thanks, Case! Sadly it is gone but the cold weather isn't.

Disco it is only 17* F here that would be good to have here.

Richie

icon14.gif

Here's to winter and comfort foods! Thanks, Richie.
Looks and sounds awesome disco! Nice video! Thank you! Our temps here in Wisconsin have been -25 with the wc and got 9 inches of snow. I love your cutting board! Built-in the counter!
Stay warm, eat well and have a great Christmas, Jay.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky