Jambalaya for the 1st time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbellard

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
North Louisiana
5BC370B5-8D71-4CCF-ACC4-3D70342E9CB8.jpeg
F568C064-4D5D-4382-A272-FA9B615C0464.jpeg

So I am from Louisiana and have figured out gumbo, Tasso and other various “Cajun” cooked items.
Now it’s time to figure out jambalaya!

Have a recipe from a guy down in Gonzales, the jambalaya capital of the world so we’ll see how it comes out.

Have some pork butt cut up, chicken thigh meat and some smoked sausage from the Eunice supprette, a south Louisiana favorite.
Stay tuned and I’ll keep y’all updated

Last edited:
EC1F9E26-85F5-4667-B502-272C906E0179.jpeg
84CEBDD8-0A1A-48C4-8C53-BE29A15F5A11.jpeg
3854A424-475B-492C-B157-8E939F0E1AAA.jpeg
449AA210-5591-412E-8751-2D44F9DF49F6.jpeg
5FB22F17-D4E8-4E18-A698-77CD768A1415.jpeg
So onions, green onions and garlic are browned and now meat is back in for a bit. I love those beautiful colors and the rustic look of this. So far it looks just like the recipe I’m following!!
6 cups of broth and 3 cups of rice are in and once it comes to a hard boil and rice begins to expand and “jump out the pot” I turned the heat to low and covered it up. Have to wait 25 min, then “turn it” (being careful not to scrape bottom) then turn heat completely off and let sit for another 15 min.
Then it’s time to eat!!!

That looks very good. We make jambalaya a couple times a year. Interestingly, your stove and countertops look a lot like ours - 'cept ours is gas.
_DSC0093.JPG

Thanks chile!
Was very good. In fact my son wouldn’t touch his so as I was cleaning up I ate some of his. (He is 5 and this is the first time I’ve made it. He’ll come around) Couldn’t just throw it away.

I've never had the pleasure of eating Jambalaya, but that looks really good.

Point for sure.

Chris

Looks great! Like!

I make jambalaya a lot...but since I live in central Missouri, getting good andouille sausage is tough. When I look at the Louisiana stores on-line, their shipping charges are stupid high - like $25 on top of the already high andouille sausage price.

Any suggestions?

Until then I will continue using Aidelle's Andouille sausage links.

Thanks guys!
I know there is one smokehouse called Rabideaux’s in Iowa,La that ships in dry ice and it’s fairly reasonable. Check them out. Best sausage I’ve ever had in my life!

Eddie that’s crazy! They don’t even sell it around here anywhere. Right now I have to drive almost 4 hrs to get it.
Get some and let me know what you think. I’m excited for you!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky