Jaegerschnitzel, Spaetzle & Roasted Asparagus

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dirty Nails

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 8, 2020
Chesapeake, VA
During my time in the Air Force I was lucky enough to spend several weeks at both Darmstadt Air Base and Ramstein Air Base in Germany. Last weekend I smoked 8 pork chops and had 8 still to use. Last night I ran the chops through an egg wash and then rolled them through salted bread crumbs. Meanwhile I sautéed a package of mushrooms in 4 Tbsp of olive oil. To the sautéed mushrooms and oil, I added 4 cups of heavy cream, corn starch, flour, garlic powder, onion powder, sugar, and two splashes of worcestershire sauce. I whisked all of it on low heat until it took on the consistency of gravy. Once I had the gravy at a boil, I removed the gravy from the heat and poured it across the breaded pork chops. The chops baked for 45 minutes at 400. At the same time I roasted some asparagus drizzled with olive oil and salt & pepper. I also boiled a package of spaetzle, which is German egg noodles. Everything came out great. In the final photo, some people put the mushroom gravy over the noodles, but I did not simply to show off the noodles. Dirty Nails

Attachments

• Breaded Schnitzels.jpg
    Breaded Schnitzels.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Sauteed Mushrooms.jpg
    Sauteed Mushrooms.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Gravy Mix.jpg
    Gravy Mix.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 37
  • Schnitzel in Gravy.jpg
    Schnitzel in Gravy.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Schnitzel.jpg
    Schnitzel.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 55
Great looking meal. I love spaeztel! When I think about good german foods this is the type of dish I think about. Nicely done! LIKE!

Reactions: JC in GB
Looks great, where's the red cabbage :)

I also boiled a package of spaetzle,

Have you tried making the spaetzle from scratch? It's better than the packaged stuff and is so easy to make. We have a spaezle maker, but you can use a colander or a number of things you've already got lying around your kitchen.

Wow!! That looks really good!! Never been to Germany but there's a really nice German / Bavarian restaurant in Fredericksburg that I love to go to. Fell in love with the spaetzle my very first time there and make sure to get it whenever I go back. Great looking meal!!

Robert

Looks great. Been such a long time since I made schnitzels. This may be the push I needed.

I was stationed at 1/59 ADA in Wackernheim. Not too far away from Ramstein Airbase.

Thanks....

JC :emoji_cat:

Wow, nice! Yaegerschnitzel is one of my Wife's favorite meals. Good stuff...JJ

Looks Mighty Tasty to me Nice Job
Gary

Thank you!
Great looking meal. I love spaeztel! When I think about good german foods this is the type of dish I think about. Nicely done! LIKE!

Thank you!
Looks great, where's the red cabbage :)
Have you tried making the spaetzle from scratch? It's better than the packaged stuff and is so easy to make. We have a spaezle maker, but you can use a colander or a number of things you've already got lying around your kitchen.

Ha! I'm making a rice, red cabbage, and ground beef dish tonight. I've never tried making spaetzle, perhaps I'll try though.
Wow!! That looks really good!! Never been to Germany but there's a really nice German / Bavarian restaurant in Fredericksburg that I love to go to. Fell in love with the spaetzle my very first time there and make sure to get it whenever I go back. Great looking meal!!
Robert

I was stationed in San Antonio for three years and we visited Fredericksburg three times and ate at the Bavarian restaurant each time. That area is so scenic and friendly. Thanks for posting.
Looks pretty darned good from where I'm sittin', Like. RAY

Thank you
Looks great. Been such a long time since I made schnitzels. This may be the push I needed. I was stationed at 1/59 ADA in Wackernheim. Not too far away from Ramstein Airbase.
Thanks....
JC :emoji_cat:

Oh sure, I've been there too - just west of Mainz-Kastel. Wonderful area!
Looks real tasty !!

Thanks
Wow, nice! Yaegerschnitzel is one of my Wife's favorite meals. Good stuff...JJ

Thanks
Wow! That looks awesome! Great job

Thanks, Al!

One of my favorite dishes. Spent 4 years at Darmstadt. Had some great times there. Nicely done meal!
Thanks Steve! I have to ask, when were you there and what was your MOS/AFSC? I ask simply because when I joined this forum in January I thought your photo looked familiar.

Thanks Steve! I have to ask, when were you there and what was your MOS/AFSC? I ask simply because when I joined this forum in January I thought your photo looked familiar.

C. Company 44th sig. Bn. Darmstadt. From 1983 to 1986. I was in multi-channel communication. Also did 4 years 1/27th Inf. Wolfhounds. HI. What about you? Dates corrected, I had to check my 214!

Last edited:
C. Company 44th sig. Bn. Darmstadt. From 1983 to 1986. I was in multi-channel communication. Also did 4 years 1/27th Inf. Wolfhounds. HI. What about you? Dates corrected, I had to check my 214!

Nope, I served from 1996 through this summer. Same sort of job though. My wife just pointed out who your photo reminds us of. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky