I've Decided. I think..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chunkymonkey

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Hudson Valley, NY
Well, buying my first house. Budget, under 400. Here are the ideas
1. Build an open pit.

2. Listen to practicality and get the WSM 22.5

3. Purchase and fully mod an Oklahoma Joe's or equivalent.

Idea 1 and 3 are for bravado. The "big boy toy" aspect I like. Granted, ultimately I'm after slap you silly cue, and the search for optimal smokatization.
SO
option 2 is the practical, set and forget, easy to use with a mostly "ready to go" unit out the box. I know this is hashed time and time again, and I've read all the threads.

My needs. Cook for an average of 4 people weekly. Family events up to 20 people. The OKJoe offset will certainly give me enough space for food to feed 20+ however the WSM has a massive cult following, and I've seen it at every Cue comp I've been too. And it's part of some teams "secret weapon" tool lists.

So...with that said. I'm settled on the WSM.
Save my money up for a really nice offset in a few years, and have seriously good smoking without too much "upgrading and fussing"

I think the 22.5 should be enough to handle my cooking needs?

Last edited:
Reactions: noboundaries
Congrats on the WSM decision!  Yes, it WILL provide you with all your smoking needs. It will provide GREAT Q and buy you plenty of time to imagine your future and an outdoor kitchen in the new home.  I've been imagining one for almost two decades, but the WSM and the Kettle keep providing me with exactly what I need!

Enjoy the new house, the new WSM, and let us know when you're having the housewarming party!   

I agree, you made the right choice.

Al
Thanks!

Congrats on the WSM decision!  Yes, it WILL provide you with all your smoking needs. It will provide GREAT Q and buy you plenty of time to imagine your future and an outdoor kitchen in the new home.  I've been imagining one for almost two decades, but the WSM and the Kettle keep providing me with exactly what I need!

Enjoy the new house, the new WSM, and let us know when you're having the housewarming party!   
I will. So long as you're bringing the beer ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky