It's try at Kielbasa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fishwrestler

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 4, 2010
Loomis,CA
I was at Safeway today and asked the ladies in the bakery if I could get one of the 2 1/2 gal buckets they had stacked against the back wall and they said sure.
So I get home and clean it out real good and used it  to hold my meat,
Cubed Meat and placed in Freezer to chill for a few hours.
Took all ingredients and mixed them with fluids from the recipe and let them meld in the refrigerator. After a few hours took the cubed meat out and and started grind all the meat. As i ground it I returned it to the 2 1/2 gal bucket and added a little of the cure and spice as i added the ground meat back tot he bucket. All 25 lbs with cure and spice added sitting in the refrigerator. Trying to decide how long to make the links for the Kielbasa I sill smoke tomorrow.

Here is the recipe I used. I combined a couple I found online i liked and combined them

15 lbs               Pork
10 lbs               Beef
1/2 C+ 2 Tbs.  Salt
1/4 C+ 1 Tbs   Mustard Seed
2 1/2 Tsp         Sweet Smoked Paprika
3 Tbs+ 2 1/4  Tsp   Ground Pepper
1 1/4 Tsp        Ground Sage
2 1/2 Tsp        Garlic Powder
1 1/4 Tsp        Marjoram
5 C                   Powder Milk
3 1/3 C            Water
1 2./3 C          Chardonnay
1 oz                 Insta cure

I will post some pictures of the ground meat and the links later tonight

Robert

Oh boy................. Kielbasa is a wonderful sausage and there is alot of recipies out there to try and I may say

you have found a recipe I would want to know what your results  are one smoking and flavor. have you had any experience in what kielbasa should taste like. Kielbasa is mostly pork,salt, pepper, garlic and some veal if you can afford it. let us know how it turns out and cant wait to see some Q..................

Here is a my little girl cleaning casings before our stuff tonight.

.                                                                                                                                   

ba6cf787_Cleaningcasings.jpg

Here is boy child getting ready to tackle the job as #1 stuffer operator.

9a4275cd_Stuffer.jpg

Here is the 25lbs of meat all stuffed and ready for the smoker in the morning

4439b89f_Keilsbasa.jpg

Last edited:
You are a lucky one with  helpers like that. Everything I have is motor assist. Its ok for everyone to need dad but when dad needs, well thats another story.....................

icon_cool.gif

Well your sausag looks awesome and like Les Said you used the cheap labor too. Now they did get their 15 minute break every 20 minutes now didn't they??? Great Job and enjoy the sausage.

quick update in the smoker this am , giving them a heavy smoke at 80 degres for 30 minutes then 90 minutes at 120 with heavy smoke. Then I am going to bump the temp to 180degs then let them go to 150 internal

Man 25lbs of sausage sure fills the smoker pretty quick :)

339b2743_Keilbasainsmoker.jpg

Pulled them at 150Deg

d8bc6693_allsmoked.jpg

Chilling in the ice bath

6aa0f4e0_chilling.jpg

All cooled

1afe2e50_allcooled.jpg

Looking Good

Great taste and texture and color and the wife and kids loved it.

First try at cured sausage I huge success..   :) :): )

3b16a768_yummy.jpg

One last photo here it is all cut up and packaged ready for the freezer. Along with about 1 1/2 gallon bag worth of ends sliced up/

b941eeb7_allpackagedup.jpg

Fishwrestler

Great job on the sausages. Congratulations to you and your helpers. 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
  Great Q-views as well.

dang, those kielbasas look soooo good!

very nicely done!

great to hear the wife and kids like them too!  smoking is just about always a lot of fun, and it's even better when you have family and friends that appreciate your hard work and enjoy the results!  you are a lucky man, dad!

&i gotta tell ya, that pile of ends really got my motor running!    i LOVE the ends!!!

now that i've seen this Q view, i don't see how i'm going to make it through the week without getting some sausages in the smoker!

It's so great that your kids can take part and actually learn where their food comes from.  They are naturally curious and eager to help.  My daughter never fails to come outside when I'm picking a mess of ducks or skinning a deer.  Keep them interested and they will eat good for a lifetime.  Good job on that sausage.  It looks great.

Looks delicious!!

Thanks for the pictures and narrative!!

Have a great day!!

Craig

That settles it.  Gonna have to get a smoker made.  I need to learn how to make sausage as we can't buy it over here.  I have a horizontal barrel BBQ I had built, but it won't do a good job on sausage like that.  Those pictures, and the thought of kielbasa, has pushed me over the edge.  Gotta get a vertical barrel smoker drawn up for the local welder.

BBQMzungu

I can't wait to hear how these taste. I would love to get a good kielbasa recipe to make.
I use Rytek Kutas' recipe for kielbasa.  67% venison, 33% pork butts - we make 1 or 2  25 lb batches for the last few years in a row, its very popular wherever we go. 

Not sure if its OK to post a published recipe here??  so I guess PM me if you want more details.

And yes, fishwrestler yours look awesome too, would love a taste if you werent so far away!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky