• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
FACT... AFTER TWO SMOKES UNDER MY BELT. I FEEL LIKE I BABYSIT MY FIRE MORE THAN I BABYSIT MY 2YR OLD SON.

A little late to the party but I would agree...SmokinAl's way makes perfect ribs.

All I need to do is buy better quality racks!

A little late to the party but I would agree...SmokinAl's way makes perfect ribs.

All I need to do is buy better quality racks!
I heard Costco has good quality racks. Unfortunately I don't have one of those around me.

I basically got an electric smoker because I didn't like baby sitting it, the electric smoker lets me plan to start smoking at midnight and at least the pellets go till 6. That and because it has the digital temperature bit I feel much better about using it for things like dehydrating beef sticks etc! Hope things turn out alright for you Jonathan!

Reactions: Jonathan Carlson
I heard Costco has good quality racks. Unfortunately I don't have one of those around me.
If you got a piggly wiggly around, they have good quality as well. Piggly Wiggly is my go to for decent product with out breaking the bank as it were. Festival Foods is good as well, but I think it's a midwest only thing; also you gotta watch for their sales..

Reactions: Jonathan Carlson
I am a fan of the keep it simple school until you get a few smokes under your belt. The 3-2-1 method is as good as it gets if you can somewhat control your smoker temps. Buy, or make a basic rib rub, spread a thin coat of yellow mustard (you won't taste it later) on the ribs so the rub has something to hold it on the meat and smoke for the 3 hours . Foil them with just a bit of apple juice for 2 hours, then unwrap and back on the smoker for another hour, or until they pass the "bend" test and the meat has pulled well back on the bones. Forget the competition cooking thing and go for fall off the bone on the first batch or three. As you gain experience you can start making small changes to tweak them to your liking a bit better. Good luck and keep us posted

Hopefully you got some remote probes! Stick one in to have an accurate reading!
I just did some St. Louis ribs and they were tender and juicy no foil but I smoked them for 5 hrs. at 200*and added sauce last 1/2 hr smoked with hickory and apple.It is really hard to screw them up,if they do finish early just foil them wrap in towels or put in 200* oven. All the advice is good just take it from there you will do fine.

Baby Back for me and Beef ribs for the wife since she doesn't do the pork thing at all. Kids will get a few of each.

I'm doing several racks of BB's this weekend too. Let me know how the beef ribs turn out. I bought some boneless beef chuck ribs on manager special last weekend and tossed them in the freezer think I might try to toss them on too and see how they turn out.

I always end up tossing hot dogs on the grill too...its hit or miss what smoked foods the kids will eat!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky