It is 3am. So...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Going back to bed didn't quite work out as hoped, time to do some coffee. In a little while I'll get on with making the dough for a Football Sunday pizza. Last night I unwrapped and browned a couple of my Italian sausages and fried up the trimming scraps from some maple-honey bacon I smoked awhile back. Pepperoni, salami, cheese, onions, peppers, and black olives to go with that stuff should do the trick. The cousins are coming over for the Niners game and then the Cards after that, cousin Kurt is a big Steelers fan. Gonna be a long day. RAY

Oh I'll be chronicling the entire ordeal Dan, big food shutterbug that I am. I like thick crust pizza and am going with a dough recipe I got off the Food Network site. I've made it a couple of times before and it's about the only one that passed the DW's criticism. The recipe says it's enough dough for two pizzas, I use it for one. It's almost time to get the stand mixer out and get busy. I figure the dough will have to set for about three hours to rise, then I'll shape it round and flat and cover it for another hour or so for a second rise. I wonder where the DW hid the pizza stone? I'll have to wait till she wakes up to find out, her and Bob are still all cuddled up in bed. RAY

Morning guys,

Actually did pretty good sleeping last night for a change only woke up to go to the bathroom and was able to go back to sleep pretty quickly. :emoji_laughing:

I have tried the melatonin but it does not do anything for me or the wife, as she is usually up before 4am most days.

Have fun Ray with the food, games, and family. Looking forward to seeing the pizza as deep dish is my favorite.

Me, I am going to chase that little white ball around the golf course today, then watch the game.

John

I'd say you slept in pretty darned well John! I've been up since about 2:30 and just got the stand mixer out. I had the liquids all set up last night, and already the lack of sleep is beginning to show. I dumped the yeast into the water, sugar, salt, oil mixture and forgot to micro the stuff to 110º, it's at room temp. Then I dropped the yeast packet into the measuring cup, not even sure I got it all out. I'll give it a half hour and if I'm not happy I'll just start all over. Once I get the dough done I'm hoping to get in a little nap. It's not deep dish, just thick crust.

Take it back slow! Bobby Jones said a man with a fast back swing and his money will soon be parted. RAY

No it's over the counter. I only take them on occasion. They do help well in getting a decent nights sleep.
For anyone going to try Melatonin be sure to read the label before you buy. I recommended it to a guy at work yrs ago for sleep and a few days later he came into the break room and said you can have this,it made it worse! I looked at it and he'd bought the kind with vitamin B6 and 12 in it. Yeah, that will pep you right up and make it harder to sleep.

For anyone going to try Melatonin be sure to read the label before you buy. I recommended it to a guy at work yrs ago for sleep and a few days later he came into the break room and said you can have this,it made it worse! I looked at it and he'd bought the kind with vitamin B6 and 12 in it. Yeah, that will pep you right up and make it harder to sleep.

I didn't know about that. I wonder if that is why some people say it doesn't work for them.

Melatonin advice from personal experience. I'm not a medical professional.

First, it's pretty cheap, so you can experiment to find what dosage works best for you. If you take too much it can have the opposite result and make it hard to sleep. Over the counter dosages range from .6mg to 10mg. With melatonin more is NOT better.

I started with the .6mg and found it too light for me. Tripled it to 1.8mg and that worked nicely. When that ran out I bought 3mg and was draggy the next morning. I broke the 3mg tablets in half and found that's all I need.

Last edited:
I have Natural Calm. Doesn't help me fall asleep, but definitely helps with muscle issues. When I find myself feeling restless before bed, where my feet won't stop moving, NC works wonders. Pricy though.

Was here at 2 and 3 and back again

It was a wonderful day here yesterday! Huge Niner win in the game of the century, Seahags lose to the Rams, the future looks bright ahead. Nothing pressing all week but to get ready to smoke a prime at next Saturday's Xmas party, life is good when your team is 11-2 and the #1 seed!

Reactions: noboundaries
Slept in until 6.20 as I was up 5 times in the night....woke up the first time at 11.30 but thought that was way too early to get up. Was able to get back to sleep fairly quickly each time though, but I thought about logging on LOL.

Ray, as you know the outlaws are from the bay area and they are also very pleased with the Niners this year. Me, I wish the Cardinals or Bengals (grew up in Cincinnati)) were not in the basement....:emoji_disappointed:

Speaking of in laws I pulled out some pulled pork from the freezer for diner, so my wife invited them over for dinner, so instead of pizza for breakfast I am having a pulled pork sammie!

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky