Is it possible....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It happens to me every year. After being shut up all winter when the weather breaks you think you have to BBQ every time you get a nice day.
Next thing you know you have P.P. and brisket in the freezer and you're burned out on ribs. Time to back off a little.
Beans and Cornbread sounds kinda good. Come to think of it, I have some Great Northerns in the cupboard and some ham chunks in the freezer. Hm...

I go through cycles. When I started smoking, everything was fair game. If I was cooking, I was smoking. My wife finally screamed, "ENOUGH!" Grilling was fine, though. :emoji_yum: Lesson learned.

Still, there have been years I've run 500 lbs of charcoal through the WSM and Kettle. A slow year is 250 lbs. And times like the last 15 months where the Kettle gets occasional exercise, but the WSM sits idle for months at a time. Right now, it's a petri dish that needs serious scrubbing, a vinegar wash, and quick burnout.

I've got a hankering for a packer brisket, so that will probably happen soon. Thank God I've got one in the freezer that didn't cost a car payment.

Reactions: PPG1 and JLeonard
No sense burning yourself out, good food from every corner of the world can be made indoors. Mexican, Thai, Indian, and Chinese are probably my favorites.

Using smoke, bacon can of course go in just about everything. You could try curing a butt for a few weeks for "pulled ham", or loin ("back/Canadian bacon)" is very cheap to make and IMO delicious. Personally, it is hard for me to get tired of pretty plain hot & fast smoked chicken. Getting that kettle up to 300-350 for extra crispy skin. It is even harder for me to get tired of burgers whether smashed, grilled, or smoked.

cherrychick.jpg

Last night's chicken. as you can see (lol), cooked directly over the coals and got a little flare-up

smokedburg.jpg

~6oz smoked burger, the thickness is key IMO to not drying out. 250*F for ~45min, flipping after 30-35

gochuhamsliced.jpg

Back bacon, went with gochujang for the rub adhesive for the first time and am VERY pleased

cblt.jpg

Hard to beat a meaty back BLT now that tomatoes are starting to get good

Reactions: PPG1 and JLeonard
There's only about 5000 recipes on that Cajun page.. that outta keep you busy for awhile! LOL
I too get burnt out on BBQ. Which is why I have been eating loads of fish lately!! LOL!! And being a Cajun; the possibilities are endless!!!! I have also been making a lot of salumi too.....it's something new to do.....

Yep, happens to us also! Then back to the recipe box for some old time favorites! It will come time soon enough to fire up a smoker. Sometimes just for appetizers.

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
Yes Jim, BBQ burn out is real!
The first step in battling BBQ burn out is to admit that you have a problem to begin with.
:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

• Haha
It's not possible here, because Mrs Bear never wants anything Smoked, except My Bacons, Hams, and Prime Rib. It's Just as well now, because it's too hard for me to get out there anyway!!

Bear

Well, to change thinks up a bit, have you tried my Mahogany Pork Loin or Maple Glazed Salmon or my *almost* famous Wicked Baked Beans?

Sounds like a shameless plug doesn't it?

Well, to change thinks up a bit, have you tried my Mahogany Pork Loin or Maple Glazed Salmon or my *almost* famous Wicked Baked Beans?

Sounds like a shameless plug doesn't it?
Dude yeah on the beans.......They have become a staple around my house. My brother when he finds out I'm cooking stuff to take to our folks ask..."You bringing them pineapple beans?"
Jim

Reactions: Dutch
Dude yeah on the beans.......They have become a staple around my house. My brother when he finds out I'm cooking stuff to take to our folks ask..."You bringing them pineapple beans?"
Jim
Jim, I get that request too. I did a neighborhood smoke last weekend and smoked some baby back ribs for the neighbor. I also gave him some beans to go with his ribs. Saw him today and the first thing he said was "Those beans were awesome! Can I get the recipe? Oh and the ribs you smoked where good too!"

• Haha
Totally understand , im not there yet but i can see it happen. But now my wife is way tired of it already. She is beating me to the menu for the weekends already saying lets have this or that instead of something smoked. So I get it, just don't want to stop smoking and trying new things . As I know when I'm busy at work its hard to get to the smoke shack.

David

Reactions: Bearcarver
For me personally no. For my wife - hard yes. multiple times she has asked me to stop with the meat and smoking meat for a while. of course I concede, but wish it wasn't true.

Reactions: PPG1 and Bearcarver
Yeah, I sometimes get a little tired of it. Mainly tired of getting up way too early on a weekend to get the smoker going, and the meat prepared. Then I read some thread here, and say man, I've got to try that!
('Bout time for another batch of Dutch's Wicked Beans, I think.)
I got into charcuterie for a while, but that's pretty involved, too. Did a prosciutto a while back that took 16 months. Still, some capicola would be nice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky