Is It Just Me...?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We definitely become desensitized to the aromas/tastes from being with that food from start to finish. That and some meats taste better the second day anyway, pulled pork imo even when I didn't cook it tastes far better the second day. Don't misunderstand me, I love a nice hot fresh pulled piece of butt, but for a full meal/sandwich I tend to enjoy it the second day.

I'm also the same way when it comes to eating while I cook, and have been that way since I started cooking for personal parties, and it has carried on to me doing vendor events or catering jobs. I'll find myself looking at the clock and it's 8+pm and I haven't eaten anything but maybe a few bites to taste test the entire day. That always worked well in college because that meant I got drunk for cheap lol. It also worked well when I was dieting because if you don't consume anything but water for an entire day you will lose weight. That is until you binge eat an entire chicken because you find yourself starving to death at 10pm while laying in bed.

Reactions: Bud J
Bud J Bud J I ate some beef ribs and tri tip yesterday that I had hanging out in the fridge from the weekend. It did taste better. I don't know if it was just cause I was hungry or if they were just better.
Jim

Reactions: Bud J
I doubt if I have to say this, but almost all of My Smokes & Cooks are for at least 3 days with leftovers, but mostly only Me.
Back in the Old Days, when Mrs Bear did All the Cooking, I used to have to tell her to take a couple days off, because I was 3 days behind her. She'd be making 3 or 4 fresh meals & eating them, while I was finishing up the one that was cooked 4 days earlier.

Bear

I love ribs the next day cold, right out of the fridge. When I’m smoking I always loose my appetite & just watch everybody else eat. But the next day, I’m all over the leftovers!
Al

I was never a huge leftover fan -especially with meats- but agree that some leftovers taste better the day after. That being said, since we started to sous vide our leftovers instead of heating on the stove and especially nuking them in the microwave, I have noticed that they do not have that "reheated taste" that I absolutely hate.

I personally go nose blind a bit while cooking. Since I'm mainly using the pellet grill the smoke being so subtle I really notice the smoke aroma first thing when I pull my meat out of the fridge to warm up for the leftovers the next day. I also like Al sometimes loose my appetite while cooking but I can tear it up the next day for breakfast or lunch.

Mike and Denny nailed it. Other than heavily Sauced, with Gravy or in Liquid, Meat gets destroyed in the Microwave. Reheating a Hamburger, hunk of Beef or Pork Chops in the microwave gives a horrible, Freezer Burned like flavor, to me...JJ

When I first started q'ing and smoking I never noticed that...but that might be because i was younger, had a bigger appetite and often there weren't any leftovers. Nowadays I have solved that problem by keeping an eye on the smoker from a window and not being in the smoke all day. Just go out at regular intervals to check temp, add fuel etc. The food seems to taste great the same day so it works for me.

Reactions: noboundaries
Some of you guys are---Picky-Picky-Picky!!!
One of the very few things I won't Nuke is Leftover Fries!!
Nearly All Meat is Nukable, if you don't do it too long!

Bear

When I was a kid I remember how things tasted different when reheated in or on the stove. Now all I notice are slight textural changes with the microwave (we have two).
You are right with the textural changes also - leftover mashed taters bite! - I will only eat them as potato pancakes w/sauteed onions.

I think your wife and mine are twins. Mine has such a dislike for some types of bbq leftovers she doesn’t even want the in the kitchen when the reheat..........
Had a long conversation today with a friend that is a smoke and (true) bbq expert.
He said the air fryer is an excellent reheat source for q. Never tried one as I don't own one.
Anything is better than the microwave

Had a long conversation today with a friend that is a smoke and (true) bbq expert.
He said the air fryer is an excellent reheat source for q. Never tried one as I don't own one.
Anything is better than the microwave

I almost always use the oven or stove top to reheat.....The microwave is for melting butter and popcorn......LOL We don't have an air fryer either unless you call it a convection oven, but we don't even have a working oven at the moment either.....but that is another story

As far as Popcorn goes:
This is the closest thing I ever had to the Popcorn you get at Movie Theaters:
No Oil Needed !!

Bear

818EwcPqM-L._AC_UY218_.jpg
Presto 04830 PowerPop Microwave Multi-Popper, Black
4.5 out of 5 stars 2,162
$19.95$19.95 $24.99$24.99

Get it as soon as Tomorrow, Sep 25
FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon
More Buying Choices
$13.51 (8 used & new offers)

Wow a lot of different opinions here and I agree with most of them. With me you can have my microwave I don't have a SV either. Flush your nose with a saline spray or take a shower. I don't have a problem I can eat right after smoking. Not one for warmed left over meat or anything for that matter. However will agree soups and stews are much better day 2.

Warren

Reactions: JLeonard
I’ve always been that way. It definitely has to do with the smoke desensitizing your taste buds.

With all this talk of taste bud desensitizing, it just reinforces my approach. . .Drink beer while smoking or bbqing. You won't realize any difference,

John

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky