Is it just me, or are people just plain rude these days

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I'm just venting.  I know turkey day in the US isn't until Nov, but up here in Canada it is tomorrow.  So my wife Linda invited 6 out of town (living in a camp)  owner/operator truck drivers and one wife for dinner today.  She cooked a 20 lb turkey, 10 lbs of spuds, a gal of gravey, veggies, and all the fixings--including her family's special stuffing.  Her family is French/Acadian and the stuffing has veal, beef, and pork in it.  The spices are cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves--very different for a WASP like me, but I just LOVE it.  She also made 4 pies.  So, out of the 7 people invited, 3 showed up.  The other 4 didn't even have the courtesy to call and say "Sorry, not comming".  Is this what the world is comming to???????????  Vent.  Vent.  Vent.

Gary

Last edited:
Thats pretty sorry......... Look at the brite side... Look at all the leftovers you will have for the next two weeks.....YUM

Happy Thanksgiving!  It is a shame your hospitality was turned down.  It sounds like a wonderful meal.

No good deed goes unpunished my friend.

As an example of this axiom - we offered a mother a Capri Sun for her little girl at a football game and the husband came by and asked if we had a problem with his wife.  She was upset because she thought we insinuated she wasn't caring for her child properly.  LOL  It was hot, the little girl was thirsty, we gave her a drink from our cooler.  We were wrong.  LOL

Last edited:
We take note when we invite people over....if they don't let us know anything and are a "no show"....3rd time is charm...no more invites!

Kat

Hey

Thanks everybody.  Like I said I just needed to vent.  It was a fantastic meal.  The 5 of us and the dogs ate til we couldn't move.  I have enough leftovers for a month.  I'm making "dog stew" today--basically turkey stew from the carcas and skin that I add to the dogs food every day because I don't trust store bought dry dog food.  And you're right--there will be no more invites for the 4.  What's really funny (when i think about it)--2 are Mexican immigrant workers, 1 is a Canadian Indian, and 1 is a one-armed truck driver--go figure

Gary

We take note when we invite people over....if they don't let us know anything and are a "no show"....3rd time is charm...no more invites!

Kat

Agree 100% ! We have the same policy. My wife helped organize a baby shower recently and it was "regrets only" .....my wife was appalled how many people never responded and didn't show. It's just modern manners , I guess.

Kat
Agree 100% ! We have the same policy. My wife helped organize a baby shower recently and it was "regrets only" .....my wife was appalled how many people never responded and didn't show. It's just modern manners , I guess.
Same here, friendship is something that needs to be worked on just like any good relationship, and you should never take it for granted, life is too short and I don't have enough time to share with my friends as is let a lone someone who keeps blowing me off.

The older I get the more I prefer the company of a good dog over people.......
I'm getting there buddy, lol

The older I get the more I prefer the company of a good dog over people.......
Amen!

I have been stuck with lots of left overs on many occasions because of last minute cancelations. So my neighbors usually get a ziplock back full of smoked meat goodness... lol. Needless to say none of my neighbors complain about smoke from my smoker!

Hey Chef Willie

I know I'm not,deep down inside me, a nice guy--even though I try to be.  But you're right, I like my dogs a lot more than I like people.  I try, but honestly, people are such miserable creatures, that dogs are far superior.  Aside from my wife--for whom I would walk over hot coals--I 'm happiest just lying (here we go again, don't know if I spelled that right) on the floor snuggled up with my dogs.  Not sure if that's a plus or minus for me.

Gary

Hey Chef Willie

I know I'm not,deep down inside me, a nice guy--even though I try to be.  But you're right, I like my dogs a lot more than I like people.  I try, but honestly, people are such miserable creatures, that dogs are far superior.  Aside from my wife--for whom I would walk over hot coals--I 'm happiest just lying (here we go again, don't know if I spelled that right) on the floor snuggled up with my dogs.  Not sure if that's a plus or minus for me.

Gary
I would say a big plus , my 5 dogs are my world.., my boys n girls., always happy and they don't growl at me.They like my Jerky too...hehehehe

Grandma, who was a friend to the whole neighborhood, would always say, " I hate people! I only like my Kids. "  The woman would do anything for anybody but quite frequently no one returned the favors...And that was 80 years ago!...JJ

If you want to see rude, take a seven year old cub scout selling popcorn at a store front and watch how rude people can be to a little boy.  I understand if you don't want none but this is a kid just starting to build some self esteem and be responsible by raising money to support his hobby of scouting.  Again nobody likes sales people but again common decency and manners people.  If my son weren't watching I would have smacked a few people that day.

Like I always tell my wife... "I just dont like people"... besides my family I only have one very good friend I would do anything for and maybe 3 other friends that I see a few times a year.  If they cant take the time to return the friendship then it isnt worth having.  And a big reason for this is people just dont know how to be true friends anymore.  They care more about their damn phone.  I dont even do the 3 chances anymore...1 strike and you are out.

Reactions: little smokey
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky