Is it just me, or are people just plain rude these days

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Like I always tell my wife... "I just dont like people"... besides my family I only have one very good friend I would do anything for and maybe 3 other friends that I see a few times a year.  If they cant take the time to return the friendship then it isnt worth having.  And a big reason for this is people just dont know how to be true friends anymore.  They care more about their damn phone.  I dont even do the 3 chances anymore...1 strike and you are out.

Ain't that the truth!!! I am so sick of people out in public totally oblivious to everything going on around them because they are staring at their phone!!! I call them phone zombies!!!

From your other posts, I inferred that the community you live in is a small one. If so, one wonders how the miscreants without the manners to send regrets can be counted upon for anything else, either.

At least a few of you know who they are and what they are.

As for me, I hope someday to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL OUR NEIGHBORS IN THE GWN!!!

Hey S2K

Linda and I were out for dinner the other day.  A man, woman and kid came in and sat close to us.  All 3 of them dug their phones out and started texting.  This went on until their food was served.  What is this????

Gary

Hey S2K
Linda and I were out for dinner the other day.  A man, woman and kid came in and sat close to us.  All 3 of them dug their phones out and started texting.  This went on until their food was served.  What is this????
Gary

This is today's nice family night out with good food and bonding, they were texting each other!:biggrin:

Hey Rabbithutch,,                    

"As for me, I hope someday to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am."

I've always believed this.  Don't always live up to it.  Nice to know I'm not alone.

Gary

Hey

Thanks everybody.  Like I said I just needed to vent.  It was a fantastic meal.  The 5 of us and the dogs ate til we couldn't move.  I have enough leftovers for a month.  I'm making "dog stew" today--basically turkey stew from the carcas and skin that I add to the dogs food every day because I don't trust store bought dry dog food.  And you're right--there will be no more invites for the 4.  What's really funny (when i think about it)--2 are Mexican immigrant workers, 1 is a Canadian Indian, and 1 is a one-armed truck driver--go figure

Gary
I say good on you for trying! You and your wife are good people!! I'm sorry that you were insulted/slighted by rude people but at least you tried. 

I say this because I've not been stood up like that ever - then I realized, I never invite anyone outside of my comfort circle. So I say GOOD ON YOU!!!!!

We can be an inconsiderate species. I think the "me" factor comes into play. Common courtesy is not common. I consider the non- reply very rude. Sorry your wife did all of that work and some didn't even bother to call . It sounds like a wonderful meal. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving otherwise. God bless Canada!

Hey S2K

Gary
The young kid with the phone volume turned all the way up, watching cartoons, while the parents are talking in a restaurant has to be my biggest pet peeve.

I feel like putting on some song or something, and playing it full volume for the parents, and seeing their reaction. I'm guessing they would ask me to turn it down with an expression on their faces of disbelief that am I unaware what I did was inappropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Willie
The older I get the more I prefer the company of a good dog over people.......

I AGREE 100%

and the kids now days have no respect and don't want to work for a living , and i know ! ex store manager for ten LONG years , i would hire a 21 to 30 year old person and it would take a act of God to get them to work on time and if he/she did show up then it was trying to get them to do their job!  and always a excuse to be off work or if it was payday weekend i knew i was going to get a call because he/she had a belly ache or some thing else wrong , i even had one call in that his grandma was in the hospital only to have her show up to take him to lunch !!

The older I get the more I prefer the company of a good dog over people.......
+ 1

The friendship , love and loyalty of a dog is always for real.

No good deed goes unpunished my friend. =  so true !

Maybe some of us are getting old and cynical , but I called "life experienced".

Lucky we still have the meat , BBQ and beer !!!

Beer.gif

The parents are rude and have no clue how to raise kids...And the KIDS all have a sense of self-entitlement!  Every kid gets a STAR on their Test, pass or fail. Participation Trophies for everyone in a contest. The winning AND losing team gets Ice Cream after the Ball Game!  What the hell happened!?!  The Stars were for " A's ". First, Second and Third place trophies, PERIOD! The Coach would Chew our Butts Out after a loss, no Treats!

I still won't call any elder by their first name! My kids do as well. Their friends walk in MY HOUSE and say. " Hi Jim, Hi Bev " That only happens ONCE! They are told, " I don't care how Poorly you were raised but in This House you show my Wife and I Respect! " " It's MR. and MRS. J or get Out! "

Oh damn, now my Blood Pressure is up...
102.gif
...JJ 

Last edited:
I just had my Diaper Party (baby shower for the guys, everyone brings either a pack of diapers or wipes) I invited 60 people, 18 of them were the fireman I risk my life with when the call is made. I had 2 of the fireman and 10 others show up, one was my dad and the other my best friend we camp next to every weekend that helped arrange it all. I was disappointed and will likely not throw another party for people like that again, this is not the first time I have been stood up by a good majority of those people and if I continue to invite them I know it will not be the last. PEOPLE SUCK. I did not care about the $100+ worth of food that some was able to be frozen but another portion could not be and had to be thrown out. I did not care if they brought anything to the party, I just wanted to have a day to hang ut with my friends and have a good time while the wife had her baby shower, I did not think it was to much to ask.

Ha ha!    Definitely a Venting thread!

Yup.  I've had my share of it too.

I like people, dogs, cats, horses & friends,  but hate my family's manners sometime.  LOL

Even acquaintances, will often help you out or keep you posted.  But family?  Forget it!  Asked face to face, they probably will follow through, but if it's a general invite, they don't bother to notify you.

I planned a large family garden plot for all of us to use.  Lot's of input from them!   We'll be there to weed and hoe off and on.  But, when I broke my foot after getting garden tilled up, did anyone show up to help plant or weed?  Of course not.  They're family, they'll wait until next year when I can do it all.  My garden is fallow now, and will be much smaller next year.  Ta hell with 'em!  LOL  I tried to share.

Same with smoking or cooking food they like.  Asked if anyone would want to go in with me on cost a little bit.  No, we don't use saver bags, or why should we buy charcoal, and etc.  But then, it's when are you gonna give me some of that good stuff.  LOL

At least my son is giving me some fish for my efforts.  That's a good trade to me.  It offsets the cost somewhat, if you price it out in the store, but then again... I seldom buy smoked fish in a store.  Maybe twice a year.  But he's provided me enough to learn some better, more correct way of treating it and smoking.  He's a good boy.  (Well, not quite a boy, he's 47 now)  But he is "MY" boy!

We were estranged for many years due to his mother.  But enough on that.  I'm just thankful to have in my life again.  Feels very good.

There!  Now, I've vented also, and it felt damned good too!

All that said...   I wouldn't trade my family for anything.  We are a family, and we are what we are.  But let an outsider say what I just did, about them, and they would be all over them.  Don't say that about my family.  (tools & fists, may be occasionally used on outsiders) LOL

They are my family, and I love them all, what is left.  We've lost 3 brothers and two sisters so far, plus of course our parents.  Mom lived over 100 years.  She had to endure seeing some of her kids die before she did.  I always felt bad for her on that score.

There is still 2 brothers, 1 sister and myself to compete with though.  And compete, we do, even though we are too old for it  LOL

Family is family.  Forgive and love 'em anyway, and invite them again next year.  You won't always have them with you.  And regrets of a non-invite will weigh on your heart then.

God bless you all, and you just KNOW, you'll do it all over again!  LOL

edited:  correction... lost 2 brother and 2 sister.

Last edited:
Interesting thread,manners or lack there of no different down here. At 54 years old you look at one of the people round you & just shake your head.
You either are responding to the invite to eat my food or you are not. There is not a middle ground ,it's yes or no.
On Chef JJ point about the sense of entitlement. A close friend of mine's late father flew bombers in WW2 ,joined our Airforce here,trained in 1940,then Canada then Britain to play his part in the great air war. After 35 bombing missions over Germany with terrible loss of life around him got shifted to the Mediteraen flew those big Catalina /Sunderland seaplanes anti submarine stuff, the invasion of Italy, etc.
When he got discharged at 24 years old in 1946 his certificate was stamped "satisfactory service"! Now kids get a prize for showing up ! Not our military ,massive respect ,but youngsters in regular jobs expect a big hug every day,bust their balls for doing a lousy job & they quit or threaten to litigate!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky