• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Michael James Belcher

Original poster
Jan 28, 2018
Yes, I know everyone says don't use Iodized salt. But it was all I had left. Can anyone offer a definitive explanation (other than "it may affect the final outcome") on why it should not be used in cultured fermented sausages and back it up with some real evidence?

I understand the difference in salinity already and that can be compensated.

Reactions: DailyLunatic
Iodized salt has impurities in it. Divalent cations, such as Ca (calcium), Mg (magnesium), and Fe (iron) have a stronger bonding action with water soluble proteins and thus reduce the water holding capacity of the meat. This is the reason why high purity salts are recommended for sausage making. I use either kosher salt or fine pure pickling salt.

The iodine in the salt will impart an 'off' flavor in the meat.

Reactions: daveomak
While I can't offer any Scientific data, I'll offer my .02 and you can give me change back if you like. Many times in cooking i.e. meat curing, fermenting meat or kraut or pickling ect., you are depending on a vital chemical process to achive an end result that will be palatable and hopefully won't make you sick or worse. Why throw in a chemical wild card such as iodine that certainly will not enhance the end product and may in someway compromise it ?
If it a matter of the cost of iodized table salt vs Kosher/pickling salt, I'll be blunt, you picked the wrong hobby. That cost is very minor compared to all the other materials you will be using. Not even going into the equipment that everyone gets that will make life so much easier. The cost of spices alone is an eye opener. It's kinda like when I was young and looked at a rather exotic car on a car lot. I asked what kind of mileage it got and the sales guy chuckled and said"if you have to ask, you can't afford it"
I don't mean to be an A$$ about it, it's a hard lesson I myself am struggling with right now.

Iodine is indeed a great antibiotic, but that is molecular iodine, not the iodide ion. It should not affect it in any way.

It is known that iodized salt can kill yeast if you use it to make beer. Makes sense it could do so to bacteria fermenting sausage. Same goes for tap water if you go down this road. My tap water has chlorine, it also can kill stuff. No doubt chlorine has a flavor too. Now, is 100ml in 2.2lbs sausage gonna ruin it? Doubt it. Just how much all this stuff really does things is debatable but as was said, it is best to not risk things. Bottled/distilled water and non-iodized salt.

Now, iodized salt affecting flavor? I have researched this a bit and find it highly debatable. Personally, I think there is no taste difference and I am a certified beer judge. I also do not find any taste difference in kosher or sea salts. The difference is the weight and any taste difference one perceives is likely due to that. (IE table salt is stronger). I actually plan to test this and put an end to it once and for all. I will dissolve different salts of equal weight in the same amount of distilled water. I even have a $10 jar of fancy himilayan pink. That is not to say different salts do not have their use (table salt on a pretzel anyone?), just not for sausage making or brining.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky