Insane Challenge Success!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lizard55033

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
twin cities,mn
Well I had this Aug 30 & 31 off of work with the task of cooking for and catering my own wedding reception. Was a massive feat; but was a huge success!!! I wasn't worried about the wedding portion; just wanted to be sure everyone loved my food. Only a few guests knew I was doing the catering; until after dinner. People still thought I was crazy; but I wanted the food done right.

This was my first big smoke on my new smoker; and only my 2nd smoke total in this unit.

My task was 160# of Port Butts; 45 racks of ribs and 3 huge roaster pans full of my baked beans (spicy and mild).

Started Wednesday with making the injection for the pork butts and getting them injected.

My injection:
2 cups quality apple juice
1 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup rub mixture (I used Butt Rub)
1/4 Worcester Sauce
2 sticks of melted butter

Fired up the smoker Thursday and was rolling smoke with mainly Hickory with a few splits of Mesquite after about 2 hours in. after About 10 to 11 hours they were done; and quickly pulled there after and placed in trays with some additional Apple Juice.

Fired up the smoker again on Friday morning and the first batch of 30 ribs went down. I prepped the beans; and the next batch of ribs.
The first batch got done in about 3 1/2 hours (no wrapping; and membrane left on). The last 15 racks went on the smoker; as well as all 3 batches of beans. Those all finished in about 4 hours right in time for rehearsal.

Came back from rehearsal and then fired up the Weber Kettle and cooked the Groomsman dinner too... 36 burgers and about 30 brats.

The Ceremony; Dinner, and Reception went off without a hitch.
Rave reviews of the food that I labored on for my special day truly warms the heart and soul; plus knowing I saved myself a minimum of $4500 doing it myself.

Attachments

• IMG_6489.JPG
    IMG_6489.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6490.JPG
    IMG_6490.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6579.JPG
    IMG_6579.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6578.JPG
    IMG_6578.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6581.JPG
    IMG_6581.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6587.JPG
    IMG_6587.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6592.JPG
    IMG_6592.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Congrats on the wedding!!! That is a huge cook, I would be too nervous a few days before the wedding to pull that off with confidence so major kudo's to you!!!! Nice looking food. I wish I had been there, I must have misplaced my invitation. Darn it.

Congratulation on the marriage. That's a heck of a meal especially since you were the groom.

Point for sure.

Chris

That was really ambitious of you. You must really love to smoke food.
Congratulations on your wedding. And saving the money is a nice bonus.

Congratulations on getting married, bravo for the cook....but I must say: are you crazy cooking at your own wedding?

The bride is a rare find for letting you do it.

Congrats Lizzard on the new marriage and the fact that you catered your own wedding/reception! What a deal! The food looked awesome. Best wishes to you and the bride.

Looks Great!
You know, you have set a precedence now. Your bride knows that Yan Can Cook,
So she may want you doing more big functions. LOL!

Your loaded rack full of ribs reminded me of the Grand Daughters 4th birthday. She wanted Grandpa to make ribs for her party.
Grandpa had a full grate of ribs, 6 racks. I had a flare up and charred them. I scraped the burn off and kept on.
They turned out good, but looked way over done. :oops:
Still, folks liked them.

Glad your reception dinner turned out great.

Congratulations! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky