Injecting Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininidaho

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
N. Idaho
Got a new injector and want to inject a pork butt this weekend. Anyone have a good recipe or what you use to inject your butt?

Reactions: JC in GB
Pop's brine and cure for week for killer ham!

Cure for a week is not adequate.... Here is what Pops noted.....

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member
Fort Worth, Tx.
Mike Bolack said:

Okay, new to this... so whats the worst case senario if my fresh ham only sits in a brine for 5 or 6 days?
Well, first let's check out what prep you've done.

Is it a fresh ham or fresh front arm shoulder?

Either way, if it is bone-in, you need to inject it with the curing brine first, then put it in the brine and hold it down with a weight (I use a half-filled ziploc of water).

For a front arm shoulder, minimum brining time would be 10 days.

For a fresh ham, minimum brining time would be 14 days.

If only 5 days, esp. with no injection, you risk the cure not reaching the inner parts of the product and it would be like fresh pork inside:

If this happens, no curing would be present and the inner pork would spoil after 4-5 days, risking a health hazard.

Not worth it nor the ER bills.

Reactions: jcam222
Cure for a week is not adequate.... Here is what Pops noted.....

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member
Fort Worth, Tx.
Mike Bolack said:

Okay, new to this... so whats the worst case senario if my fresh ham only sits in a brine for 5 or 6 days?
Well, first let's check out what prep you've done.

Is it a fresh ham or fresh front arm shoulder?

Either way, if it is bone-in, you need to inject it with the curing brine first, then put it in the brine and hold it down with a weight (I use a half-filled ziploc of water).

For a front arm shoulder, minimum brining time would be 10 days.

For a fresh ham, minimum brining time would be 14 days.

If only 5 days, esp. with no injection, you risk the cure not reaching the inner parts of the product and it would be like fresh pork inside:

If this happens, no curing would be present and the inner pork would spoil after 4-5 days, risking a health hazard.

Not worth it nor the ER bills.

Looks like he taking about brine with no inject. I done several pork butts now. Inject the heck out of it and sit in brine for week, smoke at 250 until 160 internal. They turn out great.

20190407_090154.jpg

Reactions: zwiller
Like Dave said 1 week is not long enough . Pop's is talking about an injected bone in fresh ham , or front leg in the comment from Pop's that he re posted .
He also says " 10 day minimum " for a shoulder .

Like Dave said 1 week is not long enough . Pop's is talking about an injected bone in fresh ham , or front leg in the comment from Pop's that he re posted .
He also says " 10 day minimum " for a shoulder .

Not trying to be smart but if it has spoiled after 5 days wont it still be spoiled after 10?

Last edited:
Just trying to understand. I can see a problem if you where cold smoking or like you say not cooking right away. I have done several in 7 days and all ways completely cured but I do inject very good. If really a health hazard I will give couple extra days in future. Anyway this really does make a tasty ham. Cant get myself t do pull pork anymore.

Brian,
this is what it boils down to, YOU can do whatever you want.
But you can't give bad advice to others that could potentially result in illness or death.

Your first suggestion was exactly that, potentially harmful.
"... cure for a week..."
It was corrected with the proper information on Curing from a well respected source.

Stop trying to argue your method is okay, it's not, it's Russian Roulette with possible food poisoning.

I wish the Mods would remove everything from your first reply and down.
Get smokininidaho smokininidaho 's thread cleaned up and back on track.
The man wanted recommendations for tasty injectable marinades/brines for this weekend's cook.

Looks like he taking about brine with no inject. I done several pork butts now. Inject the heck out of it and sit in brine for week, smoke at 250 until 160 internal. They turn out great.

View attachment 408098

Looks like you didn't read what Pops wrote ...

Lot's of good stuff here. Not looking to brine or cure, just a simple recipe to inject into the butt before placing in the smoker. There's a couple good ideas and recipes above that sound great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky