Injecting Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Most any of the Tony C's injectable marinades are great, inexpensive and readily available.
I use alot of these , but I use them on lean cuts like pork loin , eye round beef .
Works for this too , just read the label so you are aware of the sodium levels . I don't add salt when using these , except for the praline ham injection .
Most of these injections contain sodium phosphates which is why they work so well .
The praline ham injection does not contain phosphates or any salt .
Used alone on a fresh piece of meat will give poor results .
Also , Pay attention to this from post 5 .
If you are going to inject salt in any of that stuff... Weigh out 1.75% salt, based on the weight of the butt, dissolve the salt in the injectable stuff... I would inject 10% the weight of the butt in injectables..

Reactions: zwiller
I had to do 50lbs PP for daughters grad party. I smoked one butt about every weekend. I decided to try to be a little scientific about it and try one thing at a time and take notes etc. Ended up with a DaveOmak style injection using weight based on Mixon's recipe with added STPP. I could win contests with it for sure and totally a PP snob now.

2 things I never saw posted but are something I learned when injecting are: leave the needle off to fill the injector and when you inject, wait a few seconds before pulling it out or it will spray at you. I used to think injecting was cheating but no longer. Far more control, speed, etc.

Reactions: daveomak
Is it alright to inject and leave overnight in the fridge or should it be done right before placing on the smoker?

Thanks chopsaw, well after all the great ideas and recipes (thanks to all) I injected with cherry dr. pepper and used Bob's rub which I found quite interesting. Will be putting on the Akorn about 6am, should be about 28 degrees out by then. It's a 7lb. butt bought it cause it was on sale
$11.00, didn't realize it was bone out rubbed it down and then put it back together with twine, then injected. We will see what happens. Will try to get some pics up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky